• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

*WARNING EXTREMELY UPSETTING* Are people allowed to kill pet rabbits to eat them?

Xsophia

Warren Scout
Warning: This is so horrible!! :evil:
My grandma had a man come round to cut her trees down and as he leaned over into next doors garden to cut the tree he saw three dead rabbits hanging by their feet on a trellis. My grandma asked if they were wild and he said no, they have white bellies and arent wild colours, he also said behind them there was an empty hutch. :cry:
The only thing we can think is that they were planning to eat them?!
How can anyone be so sick!!
I also know that this particular family has kids around 10-15 :cry:
I cant believe anyone would do this im completely in shock!
What :censored: :censored:!!
Im really sorry if this has upset anyone but i just needed to know if this was allowed or could they be reported to the RSPCA?!

I'm very very annoyed with your grandma's next door neighbours. Maybe they died, (although it is very un-usual for 3 rabbits to die all at once)

:censored::censored::censored:

Perhaps they were raised for meat... Its not any different to raising other animals for meat. :?

This. It's not illegal to eat animals. Otherwise a lot of farmers would be in a lot of trouble. ;)

If it could be proved that the animals had been kept, or killed, in a way which caused unnecessary suffering, they might be in trouble - but I doubt it, it would be nigh on impossible to prove.

Also, wild rabbits do have white bellies, so they might not have been captive ones.

This. It's not illegal to eat animals. Otherwise a lot of farmers would be in a lot of trouble. ;)

If it could be proved that the animals had been kept, or killed, in a way which caused unnecessary suffering, they might be in trouble - but I doubt it, it would be nigh on impossible to prove.

Yes, I suppose so. It was jst really horribly upsetting :cry: :cry:
I will keep watch and if they get anymore i will watch how they are kept and see if they are being kept okay :(

It is really upsetting but it's not illegal.

My granddad used to breed ducks, chickens and rabbits for meat when my dad and my seven uncles were growing up as well as growing their own veggies. It was apparently cheaper than going out and buying everything for a family of their size. :s

According to my dad they used to play with them all and treat them as pets even though my granddad used to remind them that they would eventually end up on the dinner table. Just because they're bred for eating doesn't mean they were mistreated when alive.

He must have been a good bunny owner besides the way he learned it. He taught me how to look after my very first bunny, Snowy who died aged 12 before I got Frankie.

Nope not illegal, its likely they would have been meat bunnies, and bred for it, as pet bunnies aren't usually the same taste as those raised for meat.

seems strange that rabbits as domesticated pets should be allowed to be eaten could you imagine the uproar if it was a dog in the same manner

Poor bunnies, sadly not illegal though :(

Someone my mum works with breeds rabbits for meat as well as showing. All the information he's given her on rabbits has been absolute :censored: :roll:

seems strange that rabbits as domesticated pets should be allowed to be eaten could you imagine the uproar if it was a dog in the same manner

Many people own pigs, chickens and ducks as pets, its unfortunate but in terms of them being domesticated where do you draw the line?

Many people own pigs, chickens and ducks as pets, its unfortunate but in terms of them being domesticated where do you draw the line?

Exactly. And as a owner of "farm animals" (I REALLY hate that term) I find it insulting that some animals are more worthy than others. They aren't. Cats, dogs, rabbits, it doesn't matter. Personally I don't agree with meat eating so I'm a veggie but as long as the animals are properly cared for and killed humanely it shouldn't matter what the animal is because no animal is more worthy of being killed than others.

It is upsetting when you view animals differently to others. Some cherish them as companions; others are food. I don't think it's wrong as long as it's done humanely and they are raised in clean, spacious conditions.

I remember going to my fathers friends farm (edit: I shouldn't say farm, it was just land) once to see the lambs, and holding them. I fell in love with one particular one, I was perhaps 10 or 11. I asked if I could have it (lol :lol:) and they said no, he was to be food. The lamb was raised in lovely conditions, within a herd. They never wanted for anything and we're killed humanely (not like the horrific commerical slaughterhouses).

I love rabbits dearly but try to be open minded. It would be hypocritical of me to say "its wrong" if I'm a meat eater and the meat I eat is often raised and killed, in far worse conditions. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that why rabbits we're domesticated in the first place? After all, the cows and pigs raised for food are also, domesticated. Just my view :) xx

I am extremely sorry if I've offended anyone I really didn't mean to do that in anyway whatsoever. I was just very upset at the fact that the poor rabbits were being killed :,( I guess I was just very upset and I'm very sorry again if I offended anyone. :,(

Have I missed something? :shock:

Why would anyone be offended lovey :lol:

We all love bunnies so it is hard to come to terms with, but sometimes we just have to see the other side of the coin also. As I say it's hard to see, but completely legal. It's just my view that its much the same as the raising of lambs etc for meat, cos I do love lil lambs (can't bring myself to eat baby animals :oops:) xx

Edit: sorry I thought that post was to me :oops:

Last edited:
Have I missed something? :shock:

Why would anyone be offended lovey :lol:

We all love bunnies so it is hard to come to terms with, but sometimes we just have to see the other side of the coin also. As I say it's hard to see, but completely legal. It's just my view that its much the same as the raising of lambs etc for meat, cos I do love lil lambs (can't bring myself to eat baby animals :oops:) xx

Edit: sorry I thought that post was to me :oops:

Nooo it wasn't to you I just thought people were getting upset by what I had said. It's so hard to interpret the way text is meant to sound! :lol:

Nooo it wasn't to you I just thought people were getting upset by what I had said. It's so hard to interpret the way text is meant to sound! :lol:

Isn't it just :lol: It is upsetting, and I suppose if people saw the conditions their food goes through (the meat eaters of course) they would be rather upset too.

The comment about one animal not being more worthy of being killed than another is what I feel I guess, and a very good of looking at it. We must treat all animals with the same respect. :)

But I do understand where you're coming from, when you have such a love for any animal it's difficult to understand another eating them. :)

I am extremely sorry if I've offended anyone I really didn't mean to do that in anyway whatsoever. I was just very upset at the fact that the poor rabbits were being killed :,( I guess I was just very upset and I'm very sorry again if I offended anyone. :,(

Hey you haven't upset anyone! Im glad you feel the way you do about this happening! We need more people like you in this world! :love:

Isn't it just :lol: It is upsetting, and I suppose if people saw the conditions their food goes through (the meat eaters of course) they would be rather upset too.

The comment about one animal not being more worthy of being killed than another is what I feel I guess, and a very good of looking at it. We must treat all animals with the same respect. :)

But I do understand where you're coming from, when you have such a love for any animal it's difficult to understand another eating them. :)

Yes I agree! Despite eating a very limited amount of meat I still hate where it comes from and I can't eat it if I think about! :( there is a pig farm near us and you can hear them screaming as they are being loaded into the van :( it's almost as if they know what's going to happen :( my friend has animals which are sent off for meat but they are so well looked after! So not all places are bad luckily! It's just really not nice when you know these creatures but I would feel the same way about cows if I had a pet one etc.

Back