• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits dnt have a scruff do they???

kk_kayla

Mama Doe
i had a women come cut my rabbits nails at the weekend and she grabed my rabbits by their "scruff" i was like :shock: because i didnt think they had a scruff...shes late 40 and says she has owned rabbits for years and has 4 of her own...she was a really nice lady and cut they nails fine....but i was just a little concerned about how she got them out their hutch

I tend to 'scruff' rabbits I don't know in case they do a flying leap over my shoulder. It's fine as long as you support their bottom with your other hand.

I wouldnt let her anywhere near my buns again if i was you. IMO Rabbits shouldn't be held like that!

No they should not be scruffed. It's something which was considered okay for so long it's ingrained in peoples minds, despite the fact its uncomfortable for the rabbits, and can be painful.

It might be worth correcting her :)

she a foster for the rspca...so i was a little :oops: to ask if that was right...she didnt suppost one of their bottoms just grab her stright by her scruff.. i think it was because i said she was the easiest to hold...because i told her binkie was really had to hold so she picked him up normally

:shock::shock:

I only ever hold a buns scruff when they are in my arms if they are a bun I dont know, to prevent them from leaping out of my hands. And literally, I dont scruff them, I have my hand on their back, ready to grab in case they squirm.

:?

The only time i touch a 'scruff' is when im giving Ginger her injections :shock:

I went to look at a boarding place last year, they picked up the bunnies by the scruff :( Needless to say, i didnt leave Biscuit htere...

when my vet cuts my buns nails i hold them with their back flat against my stomach with one hand underneath the legs and bottom and one hand holding the front legs and gently hold them against me.
it holds them safe and secure and leaves their feet out for the vet, very easy!

i would say something to anyone who tried to scruff my bunnies!! :(

i had a women come cut my rabbits nails at the weekend and she grabed my rabbits by their "scruff" i was like :shock: because i didnt think they had a scruff...shes late 40 and says she has owned rabbits for years and has 4 of her own...she was a really nice lady and cut they nails fine....but i was just a little concerned about how she got them out their hutch

they do have a scruff but it is frowned on by quite a lot of people. don't get why it doesn't hurt them unless they are not being supported properly. i think it depends on the owner.

I will grip their scruff while they're in my arms or stood on a veterinary table to keep them still, where such occasions require it, because a rabbit held securely with support from underneath while being examined/taking medicine is much better than a rabbit pinging off the walls and hurting themselves when they land. That's the only (non-emergency) way I would ever hold a rabbit by its scruff, with some kind of support underneath.

Back