• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Our girls r humping!

LauraJane

New Kit
Please can anyone help. We have two girls that are dwarf lops that are 6 months old. They seem to keep humping each other, either one on top of the other, we keep pushing them off but it does not seem to be working!

Are they spayed? if not, that's what you need to do to help them; get them spayed.

However, mounting is a part of a rabbit's behaviour and communication (dominance) so you can expect to see it generally in bonded pairs, but it is important to get them spayed to ease it as much as possible.

If it is getting 'tetchy' between the two of them then you may need to separate them an rebond after they are healed from their spays.

They are maturing, does often start to fight for dominance when they hit around 6 months - that's what the humping is.
They need spaying or they could start to seriously fight and do real damage to each other. Spaying also eliminates the risk of reproductive cancers (which affect 80% of unspayed does) so it's really worth doing.

Likely it will. They may fight and need to be totally separated.

Why is it you are not thinking of having them spayed?

It depends on the rabbits. Some will work out it out and live happily (there's a lady on here who keeps two unspayed does together), but most will end up fighting quite badly as does can be very terretorial.

My two started fighting a couple of days before we had them booked in to be spayed and it was quite scary how aggressive they were to each other (and us!) all because of their hormones.

I would also really think about the cancers, I'm sure if you stood a 4 in 5 chance of getting cancer you'd get the op that would prevent it ;)

I kept two unspayed does together when I first got Jasmine and Daphne, they were ok most of the time but they would often hump, chase and fur pull. I would definitely recommend getting them spayed for the behavioural and health benefits others have mentioned :wave:

Back