• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very very skinny rabbit

peediepixie

Mama Doe
Holly has lots a LOT of weight over the last few weeks. At first I thought it was because it's been so cold and have been feeding her a bit extra and also some porridge oats soaked in water so build her up but it's not worked at all. Off to the vets in an hour. Fingers crossed please!

Sending vibes...I went through this with Indigo just before Christmas , I too blamed the cold weather , she ended up having quite a major dental.

Well the vet could find nothing wrong with her at all which is good BUT that means we still don't know quite why she's so very thin. I'm to increase her pellets and provide more hay in her hutch for warmth and I'm also going to give her a heat pad every day and night to give her the best chance to put some weight on again. It may be that she is just 'old', I have no real idea about how old she is. It may be that she has something systemic like cancer or kidney problems but the vet wants me to try just feeding her up first as there is nothing obviously wrong with her except being too thin. If she has not gained any more weight or has lost more weight then they will run some bloods on her but for now, food and warmth is the way to go.

Hi!:wave:
Wonderful that Holly is well & has nothing serious:)
Just wanted to mention that when Indiana was not putting on weight (and tended to get a mucky bum) - I changed them from excel to Oxbow bunny basics/T...she gained weight quite quickly.....Im not sure if Oxbow would help at all.....and if Holly is an elderly bun - she may need higher protein ...though there are other oxbow foods which is higher in protein than the one I use ( my buns are 1 years old now)....just a thought.....Im sure others who have older buns may be able to advise on that.......
:)

Mischa inexplicably started loosing weight about March last year. The vet told me to up his pellets and his weight returned as long as I kept giving him double his usual portion. Several months later after his injections he showed signs of mite infestation. Once these were treated he started putting on weight then I reduced his pellets to normal and he is back to a healthy weight again. I'm not saying this is why but it might just be worth having a quick check through the fur for dandruff like flakes.

I would free feed pellets until she's back up to a normal weight
-also carrot can help to put on weight
(as can porridge oats mixed with water and a little honey I'm told)

You could try her with mature bunny pellets or give her treats
I do hope she puts on weight soon
sue:wave:

Junior pellets can be very good for gaining weight because they have more protein in than any other pellet so help with weight gain.

i hope she manages to put on some weight.

Brilliant, thanks for all your help:wave: I've changed her from excel to wagg, is that ok? It is the pellet food, not museli... I have been giving her carrot and porridge most days, now with added panacur!! Is it ok to start free feeding pellets straight away or should I build up to it? I'll see if I can track down some higher protein food. What types of treats would be good?:) The vet had a good look through her fur yesterday and said her skin looked fine:D

Hi i remember my vet saying to me that carrot tops are good for putting weight on. Regarding treats i should imagine that natural dried herbs should help them put on weight.

Try a few Barley Rings from Dobson and Horrell (horse feed) and are excellent for weight gain. Don't feed too many...just an addition to the other advice you have been given.:wave:

Back