• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Injury to tail

steph1981

New Kit
Hi All,

My poor little bunny has managed to injure his tail. The vet removed part of the tail upon which my rather annoyed bunny took out the stiches. After a second op yesterday to remove more of the tail i am now concerned about a few thing and was hoping someone may be able to assist.

He hates the collar which is how he took the stiches out in the first place, so we have him in baby vests, does anyone have any other recommendations as this
A) Means i have to change the vest every few hours (not great during the night)
B) He is unable to redigest his food as he is unable to get to that area due to the baby vest and im concerned about what impact this could have on him as we are now into the second week of him been unable to do this. (My vet didnt have an answer which is somewhat worrying!)

All help much appreciated, he is current sat in a cage at work with me so i can keep an eye on him, not ideal but it's the only way i can make sure he doesnt injure himself any further.

Regards
Steph

Sorry I dont have any advice but hoping someone will be along soon that is more knowledgeable. Hope he is doing ok. Is your vet rabbit-savvy, do you think?

Obviously it's not ideal if he can't eat his ceacal poop but it shouldn't do any harm in the short term. It's an adaptation designed to eek the most possible nutrition out of low nutrient food (grass) which is essential to survival in the wild when that's all that is available, but with pet rabbits they get plenty of nutrition by just eating higher nutrient food like pellets.

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice. Yes he is on pain relief and antibods which he hates but he is been so well behaved especially at 4am when a change of vest is required.

I have 4 rabbits all around 18months old, normally my vet has been very good but this time they just dont seem to be very helpful.

They made me fell very guilty about him getting to it the first time round, but offered no advice on how to stop him very frustrating.

Glad to know i dont need to worry too much about the poop problem.

Thanks Again x

Back