• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump from Injection?

marmitesmum

Warren Scout
My bun has been poorly since before Xmas, he does seem to be getting better. However we never seemed to figure out what the problem was and we've come to the conclusion he may have become low after having a water infection and not going out on the garden as much because of the bad weather...he is a v sensitive little lad afterall.

He's not the kind of rabbit that likes to be picked up and cuddled all of the time. But after my trip to the vets last night I sat stroking him for a while and felt a lump inbetween his shoulder blades.

Am I right in thinking that an injection can cause a small lump sometimes? :?

When should this go down, as he hasn't been injected for over a week, probably nearly two weeks.

My bun has been poorly since before Xmas, he does seem to be getting better. However we never seemed to figure out what the problem was and we've come to the conclusion he may have become low after having a water infection and not going out on the garden as much because of the bad weather...he is a v sensitive little lad afterall.

He's not the kind of rabbit that likes to be picked up and cuddled all of the time. But after my trip to the vets last night I sat stroking him for a while and felt a lump inbetween his shoulder blades.

When should this go down, as he hasn't been injected for over a week, probably nearly two weeks.

It can cause a lump when bun is injected, but I am not sure how long it takes to go :?

Yeah, it can cause a lump.
I always try to massage the injection area for a bit after jags, i feel this helps stop lumps.

Inca had one from a Ivermectin jag, took a couple of days to go.

I have found that injections can definatley cause a small lump sometimes.
I havent had this with a bunny but have had it with my dog, which i would imagine can happen just the same with a rabbit.
Will probably take a while to go down but it should go on its own. When it happened with Buddy.. i got quite obsessed feeling it all the time and worrying, but it eventually went after about a month!!
Glad hes getting better!

thank you guys for putting my mind at rest. :D

I'm quite calm when buns are poorly, I'm a think first panic later kind of person, but if I find a lump or bump it starts to worry me!

Just to agree with the others. My bun has needed several injections of subcutaneous fluids. He's got 5-6 lumps now. The 1st. has been there for about 4 years & is the size of a small pea.

These dermoid cysts from injections are actually attached to the skin so you can't move the skin over them, but they're not attached more deeply so they'll move with the skin over the muscles.
Bunny skin is so elastic & mobile I have a job finding them at times TBH :lol:

Back