• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Headtilt Help-Thread for linziw2004

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Originally Posted by linziw2004
Hi,

My Rabbit started to tilt her head slightly a week ago, I took her straight to the Vet who gave her 2 injections per day for 2 days then sent her home with panacur and Baytril which she has now been on for 7 days. She has rapidly deteriated so I took her back to the Vets today, after reading the above posts I was slightly positive that I would be able to help her recover but the Vet wanted to put her down!! I refused so he gave her a steroid injection and another injection but not sure what this was and he will repeat these in 2 days then see her again 2 days after that to possibly put her down if no improvement.
I am soo upset, I dont know if I have been mean by keepig her alive or not???
She is eating and drinking, I have had to bring her indors in a padded cage as she was uncontrollably rolling, she is practically upside down most of the time but then manages to get a good position to eat and drink at others. Its such a shame, she is only 13 weeks old and I am not sure what the best thing is for her???

Hi linzi, I was also told by my old vets to put Mischa down when he had bad head tilt. This was about two weeks into treatment and we were seeing an improvement in him at home, it was slight but it was an improvement. He stopped rolling so much and started to regain his footing, he was also eating well.

All I can say is keep going, others will know more about the drugs as this was a while ago now and rabbit medicine changes fast! But I think that steroids aren't the best thing. I'll let someone else take that one.

Mischa is now head tilt free. You wouldn't be able to tell from looking at him that he was ever ill apart from his little goaty beard :lol: where the skin seems to have stretched.

Please dont give up at this VERY early stage !!.
The Panacur treatment needs to be ongoing for at least 28 days. As Bunny has received a steroid then antibiotic cover would be a good idea. Whilst EC may be the cause of the headtilt a middle ear infection is also a possibility. Steroids lower the immune system, so *if* it were to be a middle ear infection then the steroid could exacerbate things without antibiotic cover.

This webite may be useful for you to read

http://www.onthewonk.com/

Once the steroid has worn off Bunny needs to be prescribed a daily non steroidal anti-inflammatory eg Metacam.

linziw2004 there is a website called on the wonk which is for head tilt bunny owners.

I don't have any experience myself but send lots of hugs to you and vibes for your bunny.

Edit - Jane beat me too it

Last edited:
Back