• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pips Results from Swab/Scab on Mouth are Back

Livi

Alpha Buck
Following on from my thread about Pip’s lip problem/sore, which looked a lot like Syphilis.

Last week we were prescribed an ointment to apply 3 times daily, and a swab was taken (so was her scab sent off!). We have done this (since last Weds AM), and her lip hasn’t worsened, nor has it improved – so I have concluded actually it isn’t helping!

The vets have just called to inform me the results are back, and luckily all the nasty ones have come back negative. She has however got a condition/virus/infection which is apparently very hard to combat with antibiotics but they can.

I did ask the name of what she has, but the receptionist didn’t know. We have an appt on Saturday morning so will find out more then, and she said Russ our vet will sort out a new antibiotic then.

So from what limited info I have, I do have a feeling it could still be Syphillis, but cant be sure.

Will let you know how we get on Saturday and what it is, as it will be useful for others to know - as its been really driving us mad! Been going on since mid December now, and have spent lots of money and time trying to get rid of it. Luckily it doesnt affect her at all, she is happy, well, eating well etc - it just looks a bit sore n unsightly!

In the meantime, Pip is deffo gonna appreciate us not having to pick her up for a cuddle & administer the ointment 3 times a day – even though she enjoyed licking it off….and the treats she gobbled down after!!:love: (I am gonna miss the cuddles that I HAD to give her tho! lol)

Thanks Jacks-Jane...Looking forward to Saturday - want to get this treated once and for all (not expecting a miracle straight away - but keen to get on the right tracks and begin to tackle this properly!)!.

Well I dont know exactly what it was called.....Sofococylis....I believe?
I should have written it down!

She is going in on Monday for it to be scrubbed, and rubbed away and then the area quaterised (sp?!) to hopefully kill off any infection...so her n Rusty will be staying in overnight together...

He said it could be treated with a lot and a long course of Baytril, but hewould rather not as he said its not ideal to give her so many jabs...

Back