• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New free range base...

Got sick of falling over bunny pens all of the time!! :lol: So ive been gradually extending their space in the hope that they would behave better when i let them be free range.

Moved all my room around AGAIN :roll: and their base has been changed from a 4x4 (previously a 6x4) to a 2x6. Ive added a few homely touches this time ;)

At the moment, theyre in there until tomorrow just while they get used to it and then tomorrow we'll try free ranging. Not sure wether to just let them out 24/7 or just when theres somone in the house. To begin with ill let them out for half hour at a time, 3 or 4 times a day for the first few days and then just gradually increase their time out of the cage until hopefully i can leave their door open.

Heres the pics of the new pen anyhoo.

08012011637.jpg

08012011630.jpg

08012011632.jpg

08012011634.jpg

And since i really wanted to try a trio, but didnt want to upset Marley and Dolly, i rescued this bun from 7years on the windowsiladded.:D

08012011631.jpg

(dont worry, they cant reach it to chew on it or anything)

About the free-ranging. I personally would start just when you're in the room cos they'll test your defences :lol: Last December when we were planning the split of Nutmeg and the lops and the move for the lops into here we let them in here for a while first to see if the proofing was up to the job. Then when it was ok we bought the lops in and bonded Meggy and Smudge.

About the free-ranging. I personally would start just when you're in the room cos they'll test your defences :lol: Last December when we were planning the split of Nutmeg and the lops and the move for the lops into here we let them in here for a while first to see if the proofing was up to the job. Then when it was ok we bought the lops in and bonded Meggy and Smudge.

Thanks for that, ill let you know how it goes.

How long did it take before they were free ranging 27/4 without your supervision?

When they were a trio they used to come in here (my room) during the day anyway so it was already partly proofed. Then in December 09 we started doing the crate and reinforcing the proofing. Then Jan 2010 they came in here for good and the first couple of nights I shut them in the crate very late at night and opened it very early but after that I just let them free-range 24-7.

When they were a trio they used to come in here (my room) during the day anyway so it was already partly proofed. Then in December 09 we started doing the crate and reinforcing the proofing. Then Jan 2010 they came in here for good and the first couple of nights I shut them in the crate very late at night and opened it very early but after that I just let them free-range 24-7.

Thanks, i worry about shutting them in their 2x6 cage now as although they were penned before, they had just short of 60sq ft permenantly available to them. Dollys been a lot better so far though, she hasnt rattled the bars once for attention :)

Going to leave the room for a bit before giving them their breakfast, then try letting them loose for a bit. I want to take things slow, so ill hopfully spot and potential problems or flaws to my proofing.

Thanks, i worry about shutting them in their 2x6 cage now as although they were penned before, they had just short of 60sq ft permenantly available to them. Dollys been a lot better so far though, she hasnt rattled the bars once for attention :)

Going to leave the room for a bit before giving them their breakfast, then try letting them loose for a bit. I want to take things slow, so ill hopfully spot any potential problems or flaws to my proofing.

Back