• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Minnies Convenia Injection

MPHF

Alpha Buck
Minnie has been with us for 14 months and since being here has had a Convenia injection to help with abscesses due to bad tooth roots. At first she was having them every 5 days and we have gradually increased it to every 3 weeks. The past few times though she hasn't showed any signs of needing it. She still had it but then went really quiet, messy poos and not as interested in food. We are going to take her to see the vet next week but just wanted any ideas or suggestions. We don't want to take her off it if it will cause her problems. She also has 3 drops of metacam and 1ml of fibreplex per day.

Thank you. :wave:

Minnie had her injection today.
It will be interesting to see if it will have a bad affect again.
We have made an appointment to see the vet but can't get in next week.
The reason we took her was cos she began to get a bit sneezy.

I would definitely continue with the Fibreplex.
Also, I'd avoid feeding her anything high in sugar such as carrots, fruit or sugary treats.

Some dried bramble leaves would be good to give her if she will eat them :)

Claire you might find that a long term probiotic such as Protexin profibre pellets is more helpful than fibreplex if Minnie is going to be on the Convenia long term.

Can your vet remove the offending tooth roots or is that too big an Op for your girl?

Thanks for the replies. :wave:

I'm not sure that Minnie could manage bramble leaves. She has real problems chewing grass, hay and dandelions but she does try and i cut the hay and grass up into smaller pieces.:)

I will ask the vet about changing the pellets.

We have discussed about taking the offending tooth roots out but we didn't expect her to go on this long and said it wouldn't be worth it.

Unfortunately the RSPCA vets lost Minnies x-rays of her teeth but one of her teeth is actually twisted. If it was just one tooth to take out I would probably be open to them taking it out.

Back