• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Successful Vet Trip- A few Questions too?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Today i took shadow, stripe, sunny , patch and blaze to the vets for there teeth doing. Thanks for all the vibes the other day for them.

The new vets here in the new town I've moved too were fabulous- they wrote everything up for me which is absolutely great.

They were in the the morning and out by afternoon, but i've got two staying in overnight as there is more work to do for them.

Sunny looks happy eating well- he has had his tear ducts flushed and his molars were okay.

Shadow has had his incisors removed- one snapped in removal- does anyone know how long they take to come back?- I'll have to have him in again for this.He also had spurs which were rasped down and tear ducts flushed. They gave painkillers antibiotics and gut stimulants by injection and prescribed baytril.

Does anyone else have injectable pain relief after dentals. My new vets didn't give any take home meds. Said they were not necessary but to bring back if they are not eating.

Stripe was fine thank goodness. One less to worry about.- he had a general healthcheck.

Patch had his tear ducts flushed and is staying overnight at the vets and blaze is in tommorow for incisor removal, tear ducts doing and molar spurs.

I'm keeping them all in overnight. Does anyone else recommend i keep them in longer, or will they be okay to go out again. I don't want to mess about with there temperatures too much as they are generally outdoor buns.

I will be getting recovery food and baytril to give to them all and they have asked to see them back in a week for a check up and then every few weeks or a month at most.

I definately feel this vets have done a good job.

Sounds like they have done a good job, although we usually give metacam for a day or two after a dental, especially after a tooth extraction.

I'm glad you have found a vet you are happy with :)

Hope so- would you say they will be okay to go out tommorow morning after general or tommorow evening?

I would go for the middle of the day as hopefully it will be a bit warmer then. If you wait until evening it will just be getting colder again :wave:

I would go for the middle of the day as hopefully it will be a bit warmer then. If you wait until evening it will just be getting colder again :wave:

Thanks alot. I didn't want to keep them in too long - just long enough to recover from the anesthetic. I think that will be right. The weather is due to be 5 degrees tommorow and then 4 degrees c at night, so much better than the below freezing temps we have had.

How are things with you today and the bunny's? Hope all is well :)

My landlord has said i can have some land to build a shed for the rescue I'm doing. Only thing is I'm not sure best how to compartmentalize it, or how big it should be as a minimum. She has also said i can have a stable when it comes up, but i'm thinking a shed may be better as i can maybe get some heating in it etc for the winter and so on.

I could do 6x4 enclosures in the shed. Not sure if they do sheds big enough for this :) The horses are out in the field some of the day, but she has said the buns would be fine to have it for the rest of the day and as hopefully they would be being rehomed not staying too long. Although perhaps it would be better to make the enclosures in the shed larger and more accommodating unless buns didn't get rehomed so quickly as expected.

Back