• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can an abcess clear itself up?

lauraandmike

Warren Scout
My bun has 3 on his back. Hes been to the vets and i've been told to take him back if they get worse, I'm starting to wonder why we were all sent home if abcesses cant clear themselves? They haven't got any bigger and they really dont seem to bother him.

Can they clear up? Like humans get spots that can hang around and then one day they are gone? I don't want him to go through any unnecessary treatment...

Not that i'm aware of, i could be wrong but i thought they always needed wither removing surgically if possible and/or treating with antibiotics. Joejoe had one behind his eye and needed depocillin injections every other day for a couple of weeks then once a week down to fortnightly for a few months, plus daily baytril.

Are they definitely abscesses and not cysts?

Is your vet a rabbit expert? if not if you say where you are i'm sure someone on here will be able to recommend one near you where you could go for a second opinion.

I don't think so... its an infection so it needs antibiotics and probably needs to be drained. Sorry, I don't know much about it, but Izzy was killed by a vet when they squeezed the abscess (internal bleeding :cry: ) so do make sure your vet knows what they're doing. It doesn't sound like they do to me because they should know they need to give antibiotics.. I'm sure they aren't stupid enough to squeeze it but just to be sure...

It's not common for rabbits to get abscess on their backs, so could they be at an injection site? Baytril especially is known for causing sterile abscesses, which shouldn't spread because they aren't caused by bacterial infection.

rabbit abcess

Hi, I have a rabbit that has had abcesses for two years. He had two operations and various meds. In time I learnt that the vets remove the abcess too early and then it returns. I now leave his abcesses alone until they burst. If they are interfered with too early the pus is thick and cheesy and not easily removed, this leaves debri and the abcess returns or moves to another area. Rabbit abcesses have finger like extensions so the probability is that your rabbit will always have them. Left alone the pus thins and ejects itself. As long as the abcess is not in a dangerous position, ie. on the head or mouth or eyes, then nature is the best cure. I keep the abcess area clean with a hibiscrub antiseptic. When it burst you can squeeze out the pus. There are no nerves in the abcess so you can thoroughly clean without hurting your bun. As long as your rabbit is happy and feeding well I would just leave him/her alone apart from helping with cleanliness etc. Hope this helps you. I remember when I was trying to find information and was really worried about my rabbit. The vet said to put him too sleep two years ago yet here he is, fit and well. I hope I have eased your mind a little. Best wishes Etta

I allways thought abcesses could also burst inside the body, where it could infect futher.
Here in Holland we give them treatments starting with an operation. They cut the abces away. And then futher treatment with Duplocilline (which is what paulinejoe mentioned aswell) for 4 weeks at least. And they get an injection Duplocilline every other day.
Antibiotics like Baytrill won't help, for they don't get through the puss of the abces.

Hi, I have a rabbit that has had abcesses for two years. He had two operations and various meds. In time I learnt that the vets remove the abcess too early and then it returns. I now leave his abcesses alone until they burst. If they are interfered with too early the pus is thick and cheesy and not easily removed, this leaves debri and the abcess returns or moves to another area. Rabbit abcesses have finger like extensions so the probability is that your rabbit will always have them. Left alone the pus thins and ejects itself. As long as the abcess is not in a dangerous position, ie. on the head or mouth or eyes, then nature is the best cure. I keep the abcess area clean with a hibiscrub antiseptic. When it burst you can squeeze out the pus. There are no nerves in the abcess so you can thoroughly clean without hurting your bun. As long as your rabbit is happy and feeding well I would just leave him/her alone apart from helping with cleanliness etc. Hope this helps you. I remember when I was trying to find information and was really worried about my rabbit. The vet said to put him too sleep two years ago yet here he is, fit and well. I hope I have eased your mind a little. Best wishes Etta

I would totally disagree with this.

All rabbit pus is thick and creamy and very different to the pus of other animals, for this reason any active abcess stands the best chance of clearing the infection through surgical excision, debriding the abcess wall and regular flushing if the abcess is in an approriate location COMBINED with strong antibiotics and hopefully an antibiotic suitable for the cultured bacteria from the abcess wall for the best chance of treating the infection.

Abcesses generally are reoccuring sadly however effective the treatment and therefore it is about managment more than cure.

All active abcesses are painful, particularly those in restricted spaces such as bone. To say there is no nervous supply to the dermis or any other area of the body is frankly ludicrous. Tissue inflammation and pressure around the core of an active abcess and the surrounding tissue DOES have a sensory nerve supply and will be painful for bunny. Adequate pain relief IMO is an essential part of treatment, not only for pain management but also to reduce inflammation of the infection site and to make sure bun maintains a good immune response needed to fight the infection. Pain not only releases stress hormones in rabbits but has also been found to lower white blood cell count.

Not to seek veterinary attention for any active abcess or suspected abcess for me is to put bun through unnecessary distress and neglect and risks spread of infection and secondary symptoms... most crucially GI issues and bone involvement.

My bun has 3 on his back. Hes been to the vets and i've been told to take him back if they get worse, I'm starting to wonder why we were all sent home if abcesses cant clear themselves? They haven't got any bigger and they really dont seem to bother him.

Can they clear up? Like humans get spots that can hang around and then one day they are gone? I don't want him to go through any unnecessary treatment...

How did the Vet come to the conclusion that they are abscesses ?

Do you know what caused them ?

Spontaneous abscessation, with no history of trauma, indicates a generalised
systemic infection which would require antibiotic cover.

blimey thanks very much for your replies. I really am confused now. I must go back and read all these posts again and try and get my head round it :?

My vet is supposed to be very good with rabbits and ive always trusted him before...

How did the Vet come to the conclusion that they are abscesses ?

Do you know what caused them ?

Spontaneous abscessation, with no history of trauma, indicates a generalised
systemic infection which would require antibiotic cover.

Hello

Vincent was at the vets 2 and a half weeks ago with loss of appetite and pooing. He was given fluids etc so I assumed the lumps were from injections. When I got to the vets he said that they rarely inject on the back. He suggested that perhaps Vincents partner Polly bit him, probably due to stress at the vets etc. He only felt them, he was positive they were abcesses. poor vinny

Hello

Vincent was at the vets 2 and a half weeks ago with loss of appetite and pooing. He was given fluids etc so I assumed the lumps were from injections. When I got to the vets he said that they rarely inject on the back. He suggested that perhaps Vincents partner Polly bit him, probably due to stress at the vets etc. He only felt them, he was positive they were abcesses. poor vinny

In that case I would definitely NOT be happy with the 'wait and see' advice :?

It's not common for rabbits to get abscess on their backs, so could they be at an injection site? Baytril especially is known for causing sterile abscesses, which shouldn't spread because they aren't caused by bacterial infection.

Hi thanks, if they were sterile do you think they still need removing ?

I think its from injections and not a bite, its too much of a coincidence and i've never seen Polly bite him

The vet should know what it really is :

-if they are abscesses they need medical care and your rabbit is at risk of septicemia in the long term with no treatment or removal surgery.

-if they follow injections (no matter what the liquid is) : they make a circular thick skin hard patch of a grey colour, with sometimes a black spot with red circle around it (beginning of necrotic process) : Chloé has 3 just now following her hospitalisation and injections (she had same problems in 2009 after injections). So I returned to the vet who said to leave them to get dry because we know what it is and they won't turn septic in her case. Should the crost leaves a reddish bloody skin then, he gave me a special cortico-antibiotoc-cream to treat it.

This can occur in rabbits following all kinds of injections at the root of the neck of around their back. (vaccination shots, baytril injections but also all antibiotics as the rabbit skin is very thin and reacts to substances : chloramphenicol, baytril, marbocyl, rilexine, penicillin G or 4 etc etc..

So please return to the vet to make sure about these differences between abcess which never resorb by themselves but can lead to septicemia if not removed or drained with antibiotics, and round thick patch on the injections spots..

Please keep us informed...

Last edited:
The vet should know what it is really :

-if they are abscesses they need medical care and your rabbit is at risk of septicemia in the long term with no treatment or removal surgery.

-if they follow injections (no matter what the liquid is) : they make a circular thick skin hard patch of a grey colour, with sometimes a black spot with red circle around it (beginning of necrotic process) : Chloé has 3 just now following her hospitalisation and injections (she had same problems in 2009 after injections). So I returned to the vet who said to leave them to get dry because we know what it is and they won't turn septic in her case. Should the crost leaves a reddish bloody skin then, he gave me a special cortico-antibiotoc-cream to treat it.

This can occur in rabbits following all kinds of injections at the root of the neck of around their back. (vaccination shots, baytril injections but also all antibiotics as the rabbit skinn is very thin and reacts to substances : chloramphenicol, baytril, marbocyl, rilexine, penicillin G or 4 etc etc..

So please return to the vet to make sure about these differences between abcess which never resorb by themselves but can lead to septicemia if not removed or drained by antibiotics, and round thick patch on the injections spots..

Please keep us informed...

This. I think it is very important to get a definitive diagnosis in order to find the correct treatment.

My mini rex, Molly has sore hocks. For 12 months, she had recurring abscesses on her hocks, she was constantly on antibiotics and pain relief and she lost condition and weight. It was not improving at all, so eventually, we decided to take her off the antibiotics and see if she could recover herself.

She is still here, 15 months later, looking healthier than ever and happier than ever. She still has bald hocks, she always will, but they are a lovely, healthy pink colour, rather than red, sore and covered in abscesses. She has only had ONE abscess in 15 months, which cleared up on its own in just 2-3 days and didn't need any treatment. It's all about management for her, keeping her bedding nice and thick and clean seems to help prevent abscesses recurring.

I can't advise what to do, only your vet can. Maybe get a second veterinary opinion. I wouldn't advise leaving it and not treating with meds, we only did that as a last resort. Thankfully it worked for us, but it could be dangerous to advise others to do the same.

hello i have had 3 rabbits with abcesses. The first tome was from a nip whilst bonding. The nip was so tiny i couldnt see it. It was just in between her front leg and chest. Armpit area. A few days later i noticed her limping and took her vets. It had spread across her chest and down the leg. What followed was 3 weeks of contant care. It was awefull for her. My advice would be to get it sorted asap. Good luck

Back