• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please Help, New Bunny

Cat129

Warren Scout
Hi, I recently got a new bunny (4 month old female) to bond with my older rabbit who is about 4 (male, neuterd) not realy sure as we adopted him about a month ago. He is litter trained and obviously she isnt.

I am having trouble getting her litter trained, she seems to just poop and pee whenever she goes, not picking a spot. Any help would be good. Also they share a litter tray could this be a reason?

On another note, I read that face humping is bad, could someone please tell me why as when they were bonding my male was doing this quite a lot. He has stopped now tho.

Hi, I recently got a new bunny (4 month old female) to bond with my older rabbit who is about 4 (male, neuterd) not realy sure as we adopted him about a month ago. He is litter trained and obviously she isnt.

I am having trouble getting her litter trained, she seems to just poop and pee whenever she goes, not picking a spot. Any help would be good. Also they share a litter tray could this be a reason?

On another note, I read that face humping is bad, could someone please tell me why as when they were bonding my male was doing this quite a lot. He has stopped now tho.

It sounds like she is just trying to get her scent everywhere and hence she is weeing and pooing to ensure this happens. How big is your litter tray and are they indoor or outdoor?

It's because of the risk of injury - if the bunny being humped decides it doesn't like it and turns to nip then the first thing the teeth meet will be the genitals of the bun doing the humping.

With the litter training, it could well be a scent marking thing as already said. I'm guessing she won't have been spayed yet as she's so young - among other benefits, spaying should help too as it reduces the need for hormonal behaviour.

They are indoor. And the litter tray is a large cat litter tray. I am going to get her spayed as soon as she is ready, do you think it will just be cleaning up poo and pee untill she is done?

They are indoor. And the litter tray is a large cat litter tray. I am going to get her spayed as soon as she is ready, do you think it will just be cleaning up poo and pee untill she is done?

They are indoor bunnies. The litter tray is a large cat litter tray. I just assumed they both use it as they have been bonded.

They are indoor bunnies. The litter tray is a large cat litter tray. I just assumed they both use it as they have been bonded.

The most dangerous thing that could happen is that the female bite his penis.
I have experienced that with my 2 buns. My younger ex-male was face humping the older one. And the older one got sick and tired of it and bit in the penis of the younger one. It was almost completely bitten, for it hang loosely on a little stump. It was swollen and purple. So I went to the vet, they cut the rest of the penis off and tested the urethra with a catheter to see if he could ever pee again. Fortunatly that was the case.

I think her being spayed makes a real difference.

I would say that post spay this is likely to improve but there is a chance it may not. Consider getting a deeper or larger tray maybe? A lot of people on here use the under bed storage boxes for indoor buns. Line it with newspaper and fill with hay. Don't have any hay elsewhere ;)

They should both be able to use the same tray.

Back