• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

outdoors to indoors

GiZiMo

New Kit

Hi im new here, just wanting to say 'Hi' first
I am the proud owner of a lovely lion head rabbit called gizmo. Shes approximately 10 months now. We adopted her at 5 months.
We have just brought her in from the cold. Tonight is her first night indoors. She is in the kitchen with her new house :)
A dog crate........we have put a shelf in there for her, but i wanted to ask a few questions
Do you think she should have a ramp up to her shelf? Or will she be ok to jump up and down?
We have put non-slip lino on the base, but do not know what to use to seal it down, any ideas on whats safe?

Many thanks in advance

Hello there and welcome to the forum :D:wave:

I also have a house rabbit, she roams free-range which may be a thought for the future if Gizmo is litter trained. It's lovely to be sitting watching the telly and having a rabbit jump on your lap :lol: My bun is penned in at night after she got stuck behind the fridge once :)roll:) but otherwise gets the kitchen to herself.

Sorry, waffling on. The shelf - she should be fine jumping up herself, you can try putting some food up there to entice her so she gets the idea. As for the lino, short answer, nothing will keep it down. Sorry :lol:

A more helpful answer, for a permanent solution you can use floor-edging, the type used to hold carpet down. Or you can always just cut it to size and put things in the corners (litter tray, water bowl etc) to hold it down as best as possible. If she's really determined she will pull it up unfortunately. I wouldn't recommend glue as if she eats it you'll have a problem. I have also used the lino on the bottom and cardboard on top which works well, although you do go through a fair bit of cardboard.

Hi thank you for your reply. Much appreciated

Shes settling indoors very well.......roaming free in the kitchen. I havent yet let her roam free into the lounge as worried our 8month lab will like to play with her a bit too roughly :D Hes trouble

her lino is just placed in there and so far she hasnt tried to rip it up. She is also locked in at night as the dog is in the kitchen too, but she roams during the day

Its taken her a while to use her litter train again, ive just kept putting her poos in there and shes now finally got the hang of it again!!
So glad i brought her in, its lovely having her in here

thank you for the tip on placing the food on the shelf, i will try that as she doesnt seem to be going up there

many thanks again

Hi thank you for your reply. Much appreciated

Shes settling indoors very well.......roaming free in the kitchen. I havent yet let her roam free into the lounge as worried our 8month lab will like to play with her a bit too roughly :D Hes trouble

her lino is just placed in there and so far she hasnt tried to rip it up. She is also locked in at night as the dog is in the kitchen too, but she roams during the day

Its taken her a while to use her litter train again, ive just kept putting her poos in there and shes now finally got the hang of it again!!
So glad i brought her in, its lovely having her in here

thank you for the tip on placing the food on the shelf, i will try that as she doesnt seem to be going up there

many thanks again

Sounds like you have a plan.

You'll enjoy having her in now until spring :)

You may have to wait and see with the shelf. Mine need a ramp, partly cos Mischa is a bit unagile (is that a word? :oops:) and partly cos our shelf covers the whole area of the dog crate...

Photo0456-vi.jpg

As for lino, ours is sandwiched between a piece of board underneath and battens of wood round the edges. This stops it from moving, however if she's leaving it alone then I personally wouldn't worry too much.

Back