• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should I bring Cookie in this winter

dinklepip

Alpha Buck
My Cookie is 7 yrs old next month and although he is healthy and fit should I look at bringing him in along with Bella anyway for the winter. I know we are in for a cold spell shortly but temps seem to duck and dive don't they.

At what age is a rabbit considered "old"?

my casper is 8 and he is a truely outdoor bun, he gets funny about coming in the house i think its too hot for him, he just scraps at the door to get out :lol: hes a very hardy bun, the only time i have brought him in was when he had major dental, and i brought him in the conservatory so it was not too hot, he stayed awake all night :roll: and so did i! :lol:

I would, if you think it won't stress him and that he'll have as much room inside as he has outside. It probably isn't necessary, but that's what I would do, just because I prefer inside buns.

My little Joey is 9yrs and lives outside with his wifey, although their shed is very snug and heated.

So long as Cookie maintains good condition in the winter, has his partner to snuggle with, and his living accommodation is truly snug then I guess he'd prefer to stay with what he knows, but bringing him in won't hurt him unless he is adamantly an outdoor bun!

I'm still umming and ahhing about bringing my two indoors. They're only 8 months old and I'm worried sick about them as they live in an aviary so have 24hr access to 'outdoors' and they refuse to go in their hutch at night, they just sit out in the cold!

I put a snugglesafe, a fleece and loads of hay in their bedroom and a fabric 'igloo' in their 'day room' but they just never go in.

This morning their water bowls were frozen over and the weather is forecasting snow for this weekend!!!! :shock:

I think it depends on a few things. Does he have a friend to snuggle with? Will he get the same amount of space indoors? Is the outside set up covered/cosy? Rabbits are really designed to live outside and so assuming he's grown a good coat and has somewhere sheltered & cosy (+ ideally a friend) then I don't think him being 7 yrs old is necessarily a reason to bring him in.

Whatever you do you need to stick with it as it's the going from one to the other which can cause problems such as snuffles etc.

Best of luck :)

Hi guys, blimey there are few out there with older buns than mine :lol: Before I had Bella I would bring Cookie in all winter anyway and he was very happy to be with me and the cat for company for obvious reasons but as I don't have a full spare room to offer them he spent his first winter outside last year with Bella, although I did bring them both for the winter when the temps dropped to about -7.

as some of you say he seems quite happy outside, I know Bella is, although sometimes he will sit there looking at me from his run at the kitchen door with that "please let me in I am cold" look on his face:lol:

They have a snugglesafe which I put in last night as it was pretty cold but they don't seem to like it and sleep in the compartment next to it:? I shoved it under lots of hay covered by a tea towel as they piggin chewed the cover to it last year. No sooner had I put it in their sleep area last night Bella dug it out :?:?:? so I shoved it back in again :lol::lol::lol:

When I brought them in last year I linked together 2 large indoor pens for them in my spare bedroom and then for about 5-6 hours in the evening they would come downstairs with me and the cat for playtime.

Suppose it's just a case of keeping an eye on them and the temps

Back