• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hi All, Can you re-assure a worried new member. . .

Hi all @ RU!

Im a long time 'stalker' of the site but this is my first post!

I have two bunnies, around 5 1/2 months old, Poppy (Black lop) and Daisy (Brown) which you can see in Avatar hopefully :)

I've had them both at 'MetroVets' Longbenton (Newcastle) today to be spayed. They've recently moved into a mini mansion (well a shed with their double decker 6ft hutch in it and lots of toys and 2 runs!!) and its was all prepped with towels for their return.

My worry lies with the fact that the rabbits have been given collars, and its bothering me a little to see them struggle with the collars on. My boyfriend who i live with insists they will be fine, and i've heard good things mentioned here on the past about 'metrovets', but after a quick google search or too about the collars/cones i'm a little concerned, will i have to go and hand feed them morning and night? Will they get stressed?

Im looking for a little guidance from all you experienced bunny owners.

Comments and feedback much appreciated,

L J

Normally collars are not given to rabbits as they stop them from cleaning themselves at the rear and also stops them eating their cecotrophs (special poos ;)). Most rabbits leave the wound alone as well. I wouldn't like to tell you to go against your vet though but you might have to handfeed them the special poos and make sure their back ends are clean.

One other thing. Are they both girls? You may need to bring them indoors for a couple of days as after GA's I think they struggle to regulate their temperatures.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome! :wave:

I've heard people on here talk about using baby grows on rabbits that won't leave their stitches alone. xx

I too would advise against using a collar on a rabbit unless absolutely necessary and even then it should be removed for supervised periods. It can prevent bun from being able to drink and eat properly and practise corophagy. The only time i would consider it is if bun is reopening the wound and tight abdominal bandaging is unsuccessful. Adequate pain relief should prevent most buns touching the wound along with appropriate wound closure. Are your buns outside post spay?

Putting collars on rabbits is rare after spaying, mine didnt have them and had no problems with their stitches. It might be worth asking your vet if you have concerns.

As has been mentioned buns do struggle to regulate their body temp after ops so it would be worth putting snugglesafes in to keep them warm. Also maybe putting towels down for them as they will be a bit softer then hay on their sore tummies.

Most importantly are your buns eating and pooing normally?

Thank you for the advice.

I have laid fresh towels down yes, and they have a snugglesafe in there too, everyone in my family etc thinks i'm mad for worrying. . . do you guys get this??! Its their first night in the shed as they are normally just in their insulated / waterproofed hutch out in the garden, so i was hoping it would feel a tad warm to them. . . its very confusing as i read a lot on here about rabbits maybe getting too warm.

Thank you for the replies, ill keep checking on them and pop into the vets tomorrow re; the collar.

Schuette; both girls yes!

Captain Helen; hi!

webbkath; they've both nibbled on a bit of food, nothing like their usual attack of their food bowl though, there are a few poops about too.

Lj

Normally rabbits are fine outdoors as long as they have been outdoors in the run up to winter so as to kickstart their bodies into producing their winter coat but for bunnies after GA it can be harder for them to keep their temperature up.

Have you been given post op pain relief? This is very important but many non rabbit savvy vets don't realise how important it is. Even for boys for whom the op is easier.

oh no :( nothing to do with pain relief, they mentioned a kind of injection to do with regulating their gut that they received post op but i haven't been given anything to give to them, i'm worried now! Ill be re heating the snugglepad before bed to keep them warm, their both sharing it now asleep on it.

Shall i ask the vet about pain relief in the morning? the surgery literally backs on to my garden i bet they're going to be sick of me!

Lj

Yes I would. The problem is if they are in pain they might not eat and once a rabbit stops eating it can be very difficult to get them started again.

I'd want a minimum of 3 days NSAID pain relief for any rabbit post-neuter - and especially with something as invasive as a spay.

Its good that they are eating something at least, keep an eye and make sure it remains that way. As others said they should have pain relief too :)

:wave: I wouldn't leave a collar on overnight unless you are able to supervise, potentially could be a bit dangerous, a lot of people have the rabbit indoors for 24 hours post op so they may have assumed you were going to do that?

I didn't insist on pain relief as my vets don't routinely dispense it for post spay recovery, they try to limit chemicals in rabbits. Ness was given a 24 hour injection of pain relief but, I did end up having to take her back in as she wouldn't even nibble hay the next day let alone her dinner. She then had the gut stimulant and fluids and I was given metacam to bring home, I only needed to administer one dose I think it was as she perked up. Both my bucks were OK with just the injection at the vets. Hope they will be alright for you, I wouldn't worry about overheating at all - it's bitter here down South - as said earlier they cannot regulate their temperature so you need to keep them warm.

Maybe offer some lukewarm cooled boiled water in a bowl by hand aswell to check fluid intake.

I never got given pain relief for mine but I was told they were given a long acting painkilling injection alongside the gut stimulant and they gave treacle a further injection when she was slow to pick up. The four does I've had done where all given internal stitches and no collars.

Can I personally apologise for the fact your rabbit has a collar!! Neil the vet at metrovets never used to put them on but my rabbits Jasmine and Daphne opened their spay wounds so now he puts them on everybun.

If they are struggling take them off most buns are fine :wave:

He'll have given them a metacam injection that lasts 48 hours, which is pain relief. If you're concerned just ring, me and Jenefina are always hounding Neil so you have a long way to go before he sees you as his most neurotic bunny owning patient :lol:

Can I personally apologise for the fact your rabbit has a collar!! Neil the vet at metrovets never used to put them on but my rabbits Jasmine and Daphne opened their spay wounds so now he puts them on everybun.

If they are struggling take them off most buns are fine :wave:

He'll have given them a metacam injection that lasts 48 hours, which is pain relief. If you're concerned just ring, me and Jenefina are always hounding Neil so you have a long way to go before he sees you as his most neurotic bunny owning patient :lol:

Metacam injections do not last 48 hours.

maybe he said up to 48 hours then? :? I thought I'd heard they only lasted 24 hours.

12-24.
48 hours is extremely optimistic IMO! :shock:

In my experience 12 hours is pretty much the max for analgesic effects, maybe longer if the dose was very high, the anti-inflammatory effects seem to last a bit longer (as in 24 hours). :)

12-24.
48 hours is extremely optimistic IMO! :shock:

In my experience 12 hours is pretty much the max for analgesic effects, maybe longer if the dose was very high, the anti-inflammatory effects seem to last a bit longer (as in 24 hours). :)

ok thank you :wave: I'm normally in a stress when I go the vets so I must have heard wrong

Glad you fessed up Nicola!

Just call Neil if you are worried or do what I do and loiter at the door around 8:20 for when he gets in :) he's a good guy and will talk you thru any worries you have. Trish, Leigh and Ty, the nurses, are also fab and willing to talk (and get tissues and coffee!)

Please don't be scared to ask him anything, just tell him Jen and Nic said it was fine and then after he's finished mocking us both he'll realise you're another crazy bunny mum and sort it all :)

Back