• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please - worried sick bout Penny Pocket U/D she's home!

Emm-Jane76

Mama Doe
Hope you can advise.

Penny Pocket went in for her dental on Thursday. We bought her home and she nibbled at a few bits and drank. The next day I rang the vet as I felt she just wasn't quite right. She wouldn't eat her pellets but would nibble at veggies. She also appeared quite bright so he told me to monitor her. On Saturday, they all went outside to play and she was fine but again was not eating her pellets but would wolf down herbs and carrots. On Sunday she again did not run to her brekkie so i thought enough is enough and rang the vet and took her in. He checked her tummy which he said felt just a bit doughy. Her mouth and teeth looked fine. So he gave her a gut stimulant and some metacam just in case she was in a bit of pain. We bought her home and put her on he couch. Got some camomile tea down her and she started eating parsley and corriander (still not pellets). Anway on my way to work my OH rang to say she'd just had a fit. Whilst on the phone to the vet she had another one. Lasted about 30 seconds. So we took her in.

The vet gave some valium (she is a stressy bunny) and a bit of ketamine to calm her. They have also taken bloods and are testing for ec and pasterolis (can't spell it). So they are just monitoring her for now.

I am so worried for her bless her.

Any ideas?

307.jpg

Last edited:
No ideas sorry, but didn't want you to think no one was caring. It sounds like she is in the best place and hopefully the bloods will find out what is wrong and the vet can start her on the right treatment to put her on the mend. (((Hugs)))

OMG Penny Pocket, you poor little girl!
I am sorry I dont have any advise. Was she put under for the dental?

Jacks Jane - I don't know what ABX cover is?:oops:

Regarding the anesthetic - she has had the same one over three other previous dentals. They used ketamine I think I she didn't have a very good experience on the previous one they used when she was spayed.

I do think Penny Pocket is the runt of the litter as I have her sister who is much bigger than her and Penny Pocket has always worried me.

Jacks Jane - I don't know what ABX cover is?:oops:

Regarding the anesthetic - she has had the same one over three other previous dentals. They used ketamine I think I she didn't have a very good experience on the previous one they used when she was spayed.

I do think Penny Pocket is the runt of the litter as I have her sister who is much bigger than her and Penny Pocket has always worried me.

Sorry, I mean antibiotic cover.

U/D on Penny Pocket. Went to see her yesterday bless her. She really smelt really strongly of the vets :? It was so lovely to see her and have a cuddle. She is usually a 'fizzy' bunny but she sat and had a snuggle so I know she isn't right. She appears quite bright and I fed her some dill and parsley but she only ate a few handfuls.

What I can't understand though is that she has still not eaten any of her pellets at all? I tried feeding her a fenugreek and she nibbled at it but then spat it out? The vet said the dental she had was not too drastic so she shouldn't be sore. I just don't understand it :roll:

The vet rang yesterday night and said she'd eaten a bit of apple and a bit of carrot but still no dry food.

I want her home but am still worried that she isn't tucking into her pellets or any type of dry treat? Surely if she was in pain or discomfort she wouldn't be eating anything?

Dry food can be a lot harder on the mouth. Is the vet certain she has no cuts/lacerations to the sides of her mouth/gums from spurs, or perhaps a very hidden spur that has been missed that is still rubbing on her tongue? Was her dental done under GA? Did they take any Xrays at the same time - perhaps she has a tooth root causing irritation in the soft tissue of her mouth/palate?

ETA she is still having pain relief whilst at the vets yes?

Dry food can be a lot harder on the mouth. Is the vet certain she has no cuts/lacerations to the sides of her mouth/gums from spurs, or perhaps a very hidden spur that has been missed that is still rubbing on her tongue? Was her dental done under GA? Did they take any Xrays at the same time - perhaps she has a tooth root causing irritation in the soft tissue of her mouth/palate?

ETA she is still having pain relief whilst at the vets yes?

Her dental was done under ga but not xray was taken. There were no lacerations or anything before her dental it was just a routine thing she's had before. I will speak to the vet again to absolutely make sure about her mouth (unfortunately the vet who did it is on leave for a week :roll:)

I don't believe she is on pain relief no as if she was in pain would she not be eating anything at all?

At the minute the vets are treating for ec as we are waiting for the results. Could the eating thing be a symptom of that?

Her dental was done under ga but not xray was taken. There were no lacerations or anything before her dental it was just a routine thing she's had before. I will speak to the vet again to absolutely make sure about her mouth (unfortunately the vet who did it is on leave for a week :roll:)

I don't believe she is on pain relief no as if she was in pain would she not be eating anything at all?

At the minute the vets are treating for ec as we are waiting for the results. Could the eating thing be a symptom of that?

I know many buns who will continue to eat through quite a lot of pain. :cry:

If she is still ill enough to be hospitalised and is struggling with certain foods then yes I think pain relief is essential, especially post-dental. I'm wondering if some Xrays of her head/jaw might be helpful if she continues to have difficulty eating although this will mean another GA which isn't a good idea until she is strong enough. I can't see how difficultly eating can be as a result of EC :? I suspect there is something dental going on still that is being missed or it is purely a sign of her feeling unwell - but dropping hard food doesn't sound right. Is she eating any hay?

I know many buns who will continue to eat through quite a lot of pain. :cry:

If she is still ill enough to be hospitalised and is struggling with certain foods then yes I think pain relief is essential, especially post-dental. I'm wondering if some Xrays of her head/jaw might be helpful if she continues to have difficulty eating although this will mean another GA which isn't a good idea until she is strong enough. I can't see how difficultly eating can be as a result of EC :? I suspect there is something dental going on still that is being missed or it is purely a sign of her feeling unwell - but dropping hard food doesn't sound right. Is she eating any hay?

Thanks so much for your comments prettylupin. I have just rang the vet again and they say she has started to eat a few of her pellets :D. She is also passing poop which is good. No more convulsions since Sunday either. Now if this is the case, should i still insist on pain relief?

By the way, the vets didn't say that the eating thing may be from ec that's just me thinking aloud!

Thanks so much for your comments prettylupin. I have just rang the vet again and they say she has started to eat a few of her pellets :D. She is also passing poop which is good. No more convulsions since Sunday either. Now if this is the case, should i still insist on pain relief?

By the way, the vets didn't say that the eating thing may be from ec that's just me thinking aloud!

Well use of NSAID's (pain relief) is advised as standard practice for EC treatment anyway in order to reduce neural inflammation. So on this basis I would say yes, I would want her, if she was my bunny, to continue to be on non-steroidals if EC is suspected and/or dental issues are persisting. :wave:

Well use of NSAID's (pain relief) is advised as standard practice for EC treatment anyway in order to reduce neural inflammation. So on this basis I would say yes, I would want her, if she was my bunny, to continue to be on non-steroidals if EC is suspected and/or dental issues are persisting. :wave:

Thank you so much - you've been a great help. I will ring the vet back up later (she's in theatre at mo) and feedback to them regarding pain relief :wave:

I've no helpful advice I'm afraid but didn't want to read and run. Sending lots of vibes for Penny Pocket; hopefully the vet can get to the bottom of her problems. xx

Finally got her home :D. So pleased to have her back. Got her in a crate indoors at the mo. Come home with baytril and panacur and still waiting for blood test results.

She is pooing and eating little bits and is quite bouncy. It's quite a treat to have her indoors with me. The other three are outside. Frank and Sally look ok but Duncan looks a bit down in the dumps bless him. Think he's missing her :(

Haven't treated the other three buns for ec yet so don't want them near each other. It may not be ec so don't want to treat them all unecessarily - now that would be a job!

If she is part of a bonded pair then please bring her partenr in to be with her, the seperation can be especially hard on a bunny who is not feeling well.

Back