• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RIP Whitey the gerbil.

BattleKat

Wise Old Thumper
To whitey.

You and your sister Cracker came to me 2 years ago.
You belonged to my boss who was planning to kill you because she was sick of your noisy antics(!) so obviously I offered you a home.
you arrived in a tiny tank and seemed over the moon when I upgraded it to a 3ft tank with a whole mess of rotastak attached. I would spend hours watching the two of you wizz around the tubes and dig futilely at anything that wouldn't move.
You weren't the brightest of the pair, often we'd find cracker running around the floor and you'd be looking out wondering how she'd managed to escape, but you were so friendly and always ran to see me when I came near.
You were such a determined little thing. I remember putting flowers near your tank and you spent over an hour leaping up and down trying to get to them. by the time I moved them you weren't even leaping in their direction. I wondered if you had forgotten why you were doing it but decided to carry on anyway.
When I added on a room I didn't realise neither of you could jump to you tried again and again for a fortnight. The day I eventually put in a box for you to step on you ran straight over, leapt in to the room, had a sniff around and left, never to return.

In the last week you'd lost some of your mobility. I arranged everything on one level for you so that you could bumble along happily and fed you dried crickets (your favourite) every day.

Today I went to move your bedding away from your water bottle and clean you out and I found you had passed.

When teddy got home we buried you in the garden. We marked the spot so when whiteys time comes she'll be buried with you.

have fun digging, chewing and otherwise being loud in gerbilly heaven. You will be missed.

Sleep well little Whitey :cry: Sorry for your loss, what a lovely tribute. Gerbils may be small but they have such big personalities that we miss them loads when they leave us.

So very sorry. Sounds like Whitey was well loved and lucky to have come to you. Sleep tight little one

Back