• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny pooping in bed! :/

can someone help me please, my little boy bunny is poopin in his bed! he is outdoor rabbit, we have a hutch hugger to keep him warm and he has a heat pad, he also has a litter tray in there but wont use it and will only poop in his bed! i dont no what to do! i cant see how hes stayin warm if hes not sleeping in there and only uses it as the toilet! :(

Rabbits use the toilet where they feel comfortable to go, if he wants to go in his bedroom I woudl advise you move the litter tray in there for him. There is nothing wrong with that.

Rabbits have a fur coat which will keep them warm in the winter and they will seek protection from the wind in their bedroom or any other covered area if they want this. Hutch huggers will protect the hutches from the elements and stop the rain penetrating the wood and make a hutch last longer and will reduce the airflow through a hutch.

his bed area is quite small, if i put his litter tray in there he wont have much room to sleep? should i maybe move his heat pad to the front in a corner? in the day he seems to only want to sleep on the the bare wood too, he moves all the sawdust to lie on the bottom of the hutch?

I swap mine round as all my bunnies do this - I put a litter tray in the bed area then a hay /straw filled tray in the hutch part which they snuggle in for a bed.

You may find your bun is using his bed because they love to eat and poop so much. For bunnies this way inclined I use straw only for a bed - they don't tend to eat this - then hang the hay rack directly above the litter tray so they get the hint.

I would experiment with where to put his heat pad, if he wants it he will use it where ever you put it.

Many rabbits will prefer to lie on bare wood rather than shavings. Rabbits are better off without shavings in their hutches, they can result in respiratory diseases in rabbits as they are often breathed in, in longer haired breeds they also will get stuck in the fur itself and result in a matted coat. Putting lino down on the floor of the hutch makes the hutch easier to clean, if you are bothered about them lying on lino or bare wood, an odd carpet tile is liked by some rabbits.

oh right ok then didnt no any of this! iv had rabbits since i can remember but i never had a difficult 1 like this lol! he destroys his hutch in the night, throws everything round and makes a massive mess...

Back