• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog Crates - U/D: How do the trays come out ?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
For those of you with them, what size do you have?

I'm now seriously contemplating a 42" or 48" to replace B&G's 4x4 pen (i know the dog crate is a little smaller, but with attached pen also it'll be roughly the same size!) as it has a roof and solves my Biccy jumping problems and it wouldnt look nowhere near as untidy / unsightly to visitors.

£41 from ebay for a 48" in black :shock: i've seen them in shops for over £80 for that size!

This is what i'd be thinking of getting;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dog-Cages-Sma...UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item6b1adc830e

This would also be used to take to my parents with me for them for Xmas so i can take the bunnies if they let me!

If possible, a single picture of your dog crate, in situ with bunnys stuff in it and bunnys in if possible for size comparisons!

Cheers in Advance,

Gray:wave:

Last edited:
LOL!! This is the exact one i've just been looking at getting for Marley. I'll be glad to hear other ppl's advice and see pictures as well. I'm looking at possibly using it to bond Marley and Barney in it if poss:roll:

(See Gray u have great bunny advice. I took on bored what u said in my last thread and have found some pennies in savings to poss get this crate. Great Bunny daddy u are:D)

Helen xx

i got the 42" it was only £37 delivered online but i was impatient wanted other half to get second level done asap so bought it for £70 in shop :oops:

pic;

giznewhome.jpg

gizhome2.jpg

:wave:

sorry the pic just keeps getting darker every time i see it very strange?!

Last edited:
i got the 42" it was only £37 delivered online but i was impatient wanted other half to get second level done asap so bought it for £70 in shop :oops:

pic;

giznewhome.jpg

:wave:

sorry the pic just keeps getting darker every time i see it very strange?!

Thats exactly what im looking for :shock: :D

The second level (and i knwo there are threads about this, but im going to ask individually if i have to! lol) is that just slats of wood across with something on top?

ETA: np about the picture, i'll brighten it up in paint and look closer :)

Thats exactly what im looking for :shock: :D

The second level (and i knwo there are threads about this, but im going to ask individually if i have to! lol) is that just slats of wood across with something on top?

ETA: np about the picture, i'll brighten it up in paint and look closer :)

yes other half just put batons of wood along the bottom then screwed ply along the top, he also placed screws on the outside of the batons so they wouldn't move out of place but they are safely on the outside so they don't hurt him, im no DIY'er but even i could of made this it was really easy and done in about 2 hours the lino was meant to be attached to the bottom tray and on the plywood but other half didnt wast to use something toxic that might not be safe for Giz so we left it placed on the top i just put plenty of toys in as he is quite a destructive bun so they distract him from attacking the wood and lino :wave:

Last edited:
yes other half just put batons of wood along the bottom then screwed ply along the top, he also placed screws on the outside of the batons so they wouldn't move out of place but they are safely on the outside so they don't hurt him, im not DIY'er but even i could of made this it was really easy and done in about 2 hours the lino was meant to be attached to the bottom tray and on the plywood but other half didnt wast to use something toxic that might not be say for Giz so we left it placed on the top :wave:

Awesome :) How much does Gizmo weigh? I only ask, as Ply is quite thin and Biccy is 2.3Kg's, so wouldnt want it to flex too much, i suppose i could always put in extra supports.

They weighed him in at 2.18kg (went to vet yesterday!) it is really sturdy for giz but you could get thicker ply :)

They weighed him in at 2.18kg (went to vet yesterday!) it is really sturdy for giz but you could get thicker ply :)

Thats cool, so Gizmo is about the same size as Biccy then :)

Thanks for all your help Vicky, much appreciated.

Anyone else? (i wonder how long it'll take for Schuette to appear :p)

Thats cool, so Gizmo is about the same size as Biccy then :)

Thanks for all your help Vicky, much appreciated.

Anyone else? (i wonder how long it'll take for Schuette to appear :p)

yes they are virtually the same, its really sturdy.
:D

*cough*

I have seen this thread but I have no idea what size my crate actually is. :oops: I think it's 3 foot long. Does that help? :p

And both my lops are 1.8kg.

For those of you with them, what size do you have?

I'm now seriously contemplating a 42" or 48" to replace B&G's 4x4 pen (i know the dog crate is a little smaller, but with attached pen also it'll be roughly the same size!) as it has a roof and solves my Biccy jumping problems and it wouldnt look nowhere near as untidy / unsightly to visitors.

£41 from ebay for a 48" in black :shock: i've seen them in shops for over £80 for that size!

This is what i'd be thinking of getting;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dog-Cages-Sma...UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item6b1adc830e

This would also be used to take to my parents with me for them for Xmas so i can take the bunnies if they let me!

If possible, a single picture of your dog crate, in situ with bunnys stuff in it and bunnys in if possible for size comparisons!

Cheers in Advance,

Gray:wave:

Well as you'll have noticed from my thread, Schuette's and vicky206's they are really large inside and extra levels can be added.

Mines is a 48" crate and in black. My Bosie is slightly heavier than you 2 me thinks. I'm sure when she was last weighed she was maybe 2.45 or 2.55 kg.

Mines is sturdy enought to take me leaning on it while i get Bosie corner tray and clean it out a bit. I'm at work now but i will take a pic in the morning and post A.S.A.P. Its all kitted out now with the stuff she needs.

Thanks Schuette, i will have a thorough read :)

Bumpety Bump for more responses pleasssssee!:wave:

I have a few 48" ones :D, were used as bases for all the seperate groups :wave:

but now they are all together they have one as a base + 8ft x 4 ft run (as the base :lol:) & the pup has one of the other crates :D

We have a 42in, used as a base for litter trays, and as it catches the sun it's a place they like to nap in. If we need to shut them away for any reason we have a puppy pen attached that folds round.

One thing I would keep an eye on, is the bars at the bottom are wider and when they stretch out, their little legs can sometimes stick through the gaps, and if spooked they could hurt themselves. So I would suggest blocking them off with strips of wood or nic panels or something simular (we've got strips of perspex)

:)

One thing I would keep an eye on, is the bars at the bottom are wider and when they stretch out, their little legs can sometimes stick through the gaps, and if spooked they could hurt themselves. So I would suggest blocking them off with strips of wood or nic panels or something simular (we've got strips of perspex)

:)

This is something that concerned me too. Our base has wooden battening which covers most of it but there is a bit that sticks up at the doorway so I put one of those log bridge things over it. :thumb:

Biccys legs do this with his pen also, i've always worried a little about it, but he's been alright, i know it could happen at any time, i just havent got round to anything yet, but great idea, i could use some NIC panels or a small wooden plinth to cover the bases.

Back