• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help - need plant identification

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone know what this is?

_IGP0710.jpg

It's in our new hay bale and while it's easy to pull out I'm a bit concerned because since giving them a new litter box with the new hay Mini has had a sticky bum and has been doing splats. Of course this could be because she fell awkwardly last night and I gave her about 3 crunchies to check she was eating ok :oops:

In the bale there was a massive cluster together so maybe it's dock. That can upset their tums can't it, dock? So I should take as much as I can out then.

I think that in a hay bale it's dock. There are a lot of different species.

The flowering/seed stem is harmful for bunnies. They won't be seriously ill with a 1 off accident, but you need to get rid of all the dock.
Normally, buns brought up on a natural diet won't eat poisonous European wild plants, but when dried they can't tell the difference so well.

When I have bought baled/farmers hay for my bun, I've always gone through it carefully removing dock & buttercup pieces.

I think that in a hay bale it's dock. There are a lot of different species.

The flowering/seed stem is harmful for bunnies. They won't be seriously ill with a 1 off accident, but you need to get rid of all the dock.
Normally, buns brought up on a natural diet won't eat poisonous European wild plants, but when dried they can't tell the difference so well.

When I have bought baled/farmers hay for my bun, I've always gone through it carefully removing dock & buttercup pieces.

It's quite easy to get out, I'll just have to make sure I remember. TY Thumps. (and halfpenny)

Back