• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange behaviour - expert advice needed

molly35

Mama Doe
Previously posted in another section

Has anyone else ever seen this sort of behaviour in a bun before?

My new foster bun is 4 years old but he is very very 'unenergetic' (sorry can't think of the right word to use). He has been out today and yesterday in the run in the garden and has just sat in a corner and not touched the grass. I've tried to tempt him with loads of different foods and all the other buns would have them eaten within seconds this one won't touch them. He even leaves his pellets. I have had him in the house and he just sits and won't explore. His previous owner only fed him hay and pellets.

He has been checked by vet before coming to me and is fine health wise. He just seems sad. Any ideas to 'perk' him up or is that just the way he is?! I know I haven't kept many buns before but I have never seen this sort of behaviour and I honestly don't think it is health related. I can probably count on one hand the amount of hops he has done since coming here. I just expect most buns to be inquisitive and sniff out their surroundings but he doesn't. I am at a loss what to try, it can't be good for his health the lack of exercise.

If he is not eating he needs to go back to the vet urgently. He sounds like he may have tummy problems, which could lead to stasis, which is fatal if left untreated and if he does not eat. He sounds like he may also be in pain - another symptom of gastric problems/stasis. Because bunnies are prey animals, these symptoms would not necessarily have been evident to the vet. Your observations however are very important and you shouldnt ignore your instincts that there is something wrong with him.

You have already done all the things you should to help him eat, but as that hasnt worked I would say dont delay: take him to the vet.

He is eating a little hay, pooing and weeing and spoke to rescue who said he was the same when he was there. I honestly don't think it is a health issue I would have had him straight to the vets if I thought that. He may not be eating the 'treats' as he has never had them in his previous home.

I may be totally wrong but my gut instinct is that he is 'sad'. Could he be unsettled due to moving - he is 4 and as far as I know has always been in his previous home, or maybe used to being in a tiny cage/hutch and not used to having space.

Last edited:
housing?

Is his 'house' much different than he was used to? Some buns can't cope with space if they aren't used to it. If he was used to being cramped, could he maybe have a little cramped house again, or even his old one back if it still exists, but inside his new one, maybe with the door open so that he can venture in and out as his courage grows? He could have his food and water in the little house too, to keep his sense of security? Good luck.

To be honest i'd try a different vet. If he's eating a little hay that's not enough to keep his gut moving. A good vet will look for-overgrown teeth, mass or impaction in his gut, his nails are making it painful to move, his eyes ears and nose have discharge or build up, his coat is showing signs of mites, his breathing is laboured or airways aren't clear and normal and his heart rate doesn't sound fine and normal. Further to there all being ok-perhaps a urine and poo sample should be tested. They should give him precautionary pain relief, gut stimulant, multivitamins, anti-inflammatory drugs to cover him whilst investigating his problem. Leaving him and thinking he is sad or scared could result in an illness being left untreated. If so chamber are you'll lose him. I really don't mean to be harsh-but any depression or mental issue should looked at once all other possibilities have been eliminated. These things require time, love and perhaps a drop of flower remedy. He needs a thorough examination before assuming the cause of his behaviour is not health related. Some vets are not good bunny vets, which is why i'd try someone else. Good luck and I hope you get him sorted out :)

He is eating a little hay, pooing and weeing and spoke to rescue who said he was the same when he was there. I honestly don't think it is a health issue I would have had him straight to the vets if I thought that. He may not be eating the 'treats' as he has never had them in his previous home.

I may be totally wrong but my gut instinct is that he is 'sad'. Could he be unsettled due to moving - he is 4 and as far as I know has always been in his previous home, or maybe used to being in a tiny cage/hutch and not used to having space.

Changed to say: agree with Linzi above.

Last edited:
Back