• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone ever bonded two bucks?

Bumblebee Megatron

Warren Scout
Or should I give up?

I would love for my two boys to be friends but thinking that I should stop wishing for it.

Both neutered, one is 3 the other is 1.5 yrs. One submissive, the other frantic and hyper (always humps the others head)

Really? Wow. Do you think it's true that some just hate each other from the start?

Their very first encounter started off so well - well they seemed really cute. Cleaning each others ears but that was only for a very small amount of time. The submissive one just struts around like the other one's not there and the young crazy one goes wild - chases him then humps his head :roll:
If only they were both so chilled like the older one.

If you have any tips I'd love to hear them - you sound like a pro!

I've had two bucks in the past, and another buck pair that is now a trio with a girl.

What do you do when one humps the other?

I've had two bucks in the past, and another buck pair that is now a trio with a girl.

What do you do when one humps the other?

The youngest one, Dex always humps his head - as in mounts it and does 'the' action.

At first the oldest one, Coop, just sat there and took it. But then he got a bit annoyed (understandably) and looked like he went to bite him.

Can I trump anyone who bonded a pair of bucks :D..............MMmm yes I can. I bonded a trio of bucks who are a lovely group of bunnies and who went together relatively easily (thank goodness).

As has already been said, it just depends on the bunnies and probably the bonding method too.

I tried to bond my 2 but they just seem to hate each other. I brought them into a neutral space and they seemed fine for about 10 minutes (just ignored each other) and then they just went for it. Fur flying etc. Jakey got his ear ripped. Yours dont seem that violent from what you've described. The humping is just them showing whos boss isnt it?

The youngest one, Dex always humps his head - as in mounts it and does 'the' action.

At first the oldest one, Coop, just sat there and took it. But then he got a bit annoyed (understandably) and looked like he went to bite him.

Ok, so what do you do?

I'm presuming you stop the humping when its the wrong way round?

When was Dex neutered?

Are you using a small, neutral space?

Ok, so what do you do?

I'm presuming you stop the humping when its the wrong way round?

When was Dex neutered?

Are you using a small, neutral space?

Hi,

Yeah we stop the humping by pulling them apart (when its the wrong by round - its only ever been this way round) which I now think may be the wrong thing to do...? We only do it as its very rough and one time Cooper (the older one) snapped his head round and went to bite Dex - luckily I put my hand in the way and it was me who got hurt.

The last time we tried we put them in a bath - Dex started humping his head straight away and Coop remained submissive and lovely (bless him). But as it look so rough we separated them as it looked like Cooper would get annoyed again and we didn't want either of them hurt.

I am thinking that perhaps we are worrying too much? It's just that it looks so nasty and I hate seeing them upset and stressed.

Dex was neutered ages ago, Sept 2009.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Last edited:
Do you think that letting them both out in the garden together would be a good idea or not really? I'm guessing not as they've both been out in it - it's just they get so excited when out that I'm hoping/thinking that the little one will be too excited to bother the older one.......?

Do you think that letting them both out in the garden together would be a good idea or not really? I'm guessing not as they've both been out in it - it's just they get so excited when out that I'm hoping/thinking that the little one will be too excited to bother the older one.......?

Do not use an outside space unless you are 100% certain it is neutral. It is also essential that only a small space is used for bonding and it is best that they are not moved once bonding has commenced until they are ready to move to their permanent accomodation.

Is there someone in your area who could help you bond them.

I'm not sure if this will help as i only had trouble getting rats to bond together(yes it can actuly be VERY hard to do with males can fight till death if not done properly)

1.We used a room which neither pet been in
2. Got some activities in the room to keep them occupied
3. have some food out treats water available
4. wait
5. hopefuly all the fun, treats available made there experiance together much fun
6. each time take one away so they interact more towards each other

After a week is when we finaly took the step to add them into the cage together totaly clean, freash, new furniture etc
(im not sure how long it is for bunnies as i am new to this)

the best place is a room they never been before. and small with hiding places.
every day a few minutes untill they accep each other

Back