• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

whats the best indoor cage?

lily3

New Kit
hello i wonder if someone could help me. i am thinking about getting a giant rabbit probably a french lop that i want to keep indoors.
i want to get the biggest cage possible and have found various ones online, and wondered which is the best one? i have put the links below, think all the cages are around 150cm long.
I know lots of people use dog crates but think i would rather a rabbit cage as i planning on keeping it in my room and think there would be less mess. any advice would be much appreciated! thanks

http://www.deemillen.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=175

http://www.cagesworld.co.uk/p/Liberta_Indoor_Rabbit_Cage.htm

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/rabbit_cage/140_cm_cages/95921#more

To be honest all 3 of those cages look too small for a frenchie. ;) Have you thought about a large dog crate? They usually are much better for bunnies as they have much more space. :D

Hi there!

We initially had our little Nethies in an indoor cage (120 cm). However, they fought, and on advice from here we made them a pen (6.5' x 4.5') where they now live very happily (with lots of free range time). We got the biggest cage we could find at the time thinking we were doing the best for them. It's been a steep learning curve, but after getting to know them it is blindingly obvious that they would not have enough space in a cage, and they are only tiny! We quickly realised that unfortunately commercially available products are really inadequate.

Lots of people on here have different set ups - dog crates, mesh panels, or custom-made pens (if they're good at DIY) - I think they are all bigger and cheaper than a cage. It's also often recommended to bunny-proof the whole room instead if possible and let the rabbits have free run (we aren't able to do this, but I love the idea!).

Hope this helps! There are basically loads of options but you'll find loads of advice on here whichever way you decide to go.

the problem is all the rabbit cages are too small for a giant rabbit can you not bunny proof the room and have a dog bed for the rabbit adn large storage box litter tray? ideally access to the rest of the house too to give it enough room, most people use nic cubes or dog crates and puppy pens to create a space large enough to use as a base, shutting a rabbti in one of these cages for any period of time would sadly jsut be cruel, reccomended "hutch space would be 6x3x3 for a normal rabbit, a giant would be a shed minimum wiht free range run and or attatched run or aviary, you could use a dog crate as a base or just the base of a cage as a litter tray, its difficult to find suitable indoor houseing for a giant rabbit at fully grown your rabbit needs space to stretch fully upwards on its back legs, hop 3 times the length of accomodation and lie fully stretched out the width of it and considering contis can be around 7kgs (size of a small to medium dog) this can cause problems. unfortunatly a lot of rabbit cages are not suitable to small to medium rabbits as a full time enclosure. sorry thishasnt helped you but hope it helps you find the right housing for your pet, also rabbits do prefer to be in pairs so havign two bunnys((both neutered and bonded of course) would probebly be best! xx

ok thank you everyone for your advice, i will not be getting one of those indoor cages now! i can see your point that they are too small.

However, i do like the idea of bunny proofing a room and having a dog bed and litter tray in it so the rabbit has plenty of room. i have a very big bedroom which i think would be ideal to do this in, but its carpetted does this cause problems? also how do i go about bunny proofing a room? ive got furniture i dont want bitten and a bed i dont want to loose the bunny under lol!

:)

Have a look at this sticky thread:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51536

I don't know how others manage it with furniture etc - ours only have access to it when supervised! Ours do chew carpet, but I think it depends on the bun. I would imagine they're bound to damage something at some point though, so you just have to be chilled about it and realise they're worth it!

They're also more likely to be destructive if they get bored, which is more likely to happen if they're lonely, so a second bunny might help!

ok thank you everyone for your advice, i will not be getting one of those indoor cages now! i can see your point that they are too small.

However, i do like the idea of bunny proofing a room and having a dog bed and litter tray in it so the rabbit has plenty of room. i have a very big bedroom which i think would be ideal to do this in, but its carpetted does this cause problems? also how do i go about bunny proofing a room? ive got furniture i dont want bitten and a bed i dont want to loose the bunny under lol!

Carpet should be fine if you litter train your bunny. :) It is easy to do and there is advice you can get from the forum. However because you have carpet, I wouldn't recommend wood shavings as they get everywhere! :lol: There are many ways you can bunny proof, I'm rubbish at that advice though cos I have 4 outdoor bunnies. ;) I'm sure someone can help though. :D

Also have you considered getting 2 rabbits? Bunnies love company and it's lovely to see a pair of bunnies snuggled up together! :love:

Last edited:
Something to remember with carpet is that if you have a dense course carpet it can wear away the fur on their hocks and create sore hocks.

thanks again for the advice. i had another thought as i was thinking my bedroom might be pretty hard to bunny proof. would it be ok if i section off a large part of my room using a puppy pen? i have measured out an area of 4.3metres by 1.3metres which the rabbit could live in. would that be big enough for a french lop?
i would only put the bunny in this enclosure when i am out, the rest of the time i would give it free run of my house.

thanks again for the advice. i had another thought as i was thinking my bedroom might be pretty hard to bunny proof. would it be ok if i section off a large part of my room using a puppy pen? i have measured out an area of 4.3metres by 1.3metres which the rabbit could live in. would that be big enough for a french lop?
i would only put the bunny in this enclosure when i am out, the rest of the time i would give it free run of my house.

a puppy pen also isnt lidded so bun will likely jump out! to bunny proof a bedrom use hosepipe to cover wires that cant be blocked off and dont have breakables on any surfaces bunny can jump onto , ith lots of toys he or she may not chew at all but you can put litlte plastic perspect corners onto furniture you want to protect and or skirting boards, and use a stair gate on door maybe with some additional height added though? under bed is usually just somewhere buns like to hide so doesnt cause huge problems. xx

Something to remember with carpet is that if you have a dense course carpet it can wear away the fur on their hocks and create sore hocks.

and if they are anything like mine BRACKEN mentioning no names they love to eat it which is why we have to replace with different flooring. :lol:

Back