• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed Ventilation.

Curious1

Young Bun
Hello.

I have a 6 x 4 ft breezeblock shed with a slate roof (not actual slate but its proper roof tiles the same as my house roof), all properly insulated for my two buns. It has a solid wood door with a cat flap in it which leads onto a 10ft x 6ft run. Because the shed is made from concrete with a slate roof which I have further insulated it should stay fairly cool in the summer and in addition because the shed door opens into the run I could leave it open in warmer weather.

I am just wondering whether this is ok or do I need further ventilation for the shed? I could cut a window into it and mesh over but I wanted the shed to stay as warm and draught free as possible in the winter and as they have 24/7 access to the run via a cat flap I hoped this would be ok?

I'm not sure about ventilation, does it not have a window anyway? It would need some sunlight for them, but otherwise sounds like a great space. :D

No it doesnt have a window, it lets in some light through the clear catflap and has a solar light for when I am cleaning them out in the evening and its dark - it doesnt seem to bother them - they come and go throughout the day but hadnt really given any thought to them needing light in there to be honest, I just assumed this would be fine as they are only using it as a bolt hole.

I'd definately like some opinions on this though as I dont want them to be without a window if one is needed?

Thanks for the advice helgalush :)

See what others say as that is just my instinct. :) Though I guess a window would sort both the light issue and ventilation. We have a shed that has a plastic (quite flimsy) window, we have it wired over with strong mesh, and we are able to slide the window up and down for the summer months (with the mesh for safety).

If it is snuggly in there they may spend more time in there over the cold winter months but not get so much vitamin d or whatever from a little bit of sunlight.

Maybe you could make a little window with a mesh on the inside/outside for extra safety, and have a removable wooden shutter of some kind for overnight to keep out drafts?

Sounds like they have a lovely big run :D

Could you make a mesh door for it so that the main door can be left open apart from in the really cold weather.

The shed door opens into the run (a walk in aviary) which they have permanent access to anyway, so I can leave the door open as and when needed without having to make a mesh door so thats not a problem.

I was just wanting to know if this is ok or would more permanent ventilation be needed for throughout the night times when the door is closed for instance?

Also now I am wondering whether I would need a window installed for light purposes? I know I could leave the door open at day time to solve the light problem but I really do want them to have somewhere snug and warm for the winter and leaving the door open defeats this!

Thanks again for your help.

Back