• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What happened?

puppyjess12345

Mama Doe
A while ago, before I discovered this forum, I was guilty of the pet shop tragedy. I saw this adorable little mini lop in the small pens and got her. I named her Lottie and overall only had her for a year :( I really regret doing no research, she wasn't spayed or vacced but did have a nice big hutch. I really didn't think bunnies needed all this. :oops:

Anyway as the point of this thread is to find out how she died. I was so devastated when it happened. I came home from school from day and there was my beloved bunny, having sort of fits in her run? Her back end was paralysed and she dragged herself around by her front legs :cry: She did eat a bit from my hand but looked in so much pain and was having trouble breathing. I phoned the vets but they weren't much help and said the best thing was to put her down, so that's what I wanted to do as i couldn't bear seeing her in so much pain.

I quickly nipped in to see if i could find out what was wrong with her on the internet and if there was anything I could do. Unfortunately by the time I got back my little Lottie had given up and passed away. RIP :cry:

So i was just wondering if anyone can confirm what happened to my beautiful girl? I hope to give my other rabbits a much better quality of life.

Thank you

I'm so sorry about Lottie :cry: (that is my sister's name :))

Unfortunately without a postmortem it is impossible to tell you what happened. There are many things that can cause these sorts of symptoms from neurological caused by EC or a deficit resulting in fitting, a stroke, heart issues, poison/toxins. It is impossible to say, so sorry.

My advice to you would be to find yourself a much better, more rabbit savy vet who is more likely to give you a clearer picture of what is going on and may not always suggest pts without trying some tests and medications first. A good vet is the most important thing. If you ever find yourself in this situation again the best thing would be to get bunny immediately to a rabbit-savy vet as a matter of urgency. So sorry, take care x

Back