• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

zantac - injection or oral?

weedug

Mama Doe
Floppy was given an injection of zantac, and I was given one home with me to give him in the morning if needed, when he had bloat a couple of days ago.

When I phoned up to get advice as to whether to give him the injection, I overheard the vet telling the nurse that Floppy shouldn't have been given zantac by injection as one of the vets had seen some bad reactions to it.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Lilly had it a week or two ago and they didn't give an injection they just gave me a bottle to give orally. When wally was in a few months ago they injected it. I don't know why they changed :?

anytime I have used to for any of the rabbits I have had its been oral. But reading back on some of the invoices .If any of them have been kept in after a spay its been a injection I have been charged for .

I dont know of any effects of it being given either way but will ask about it next time there

at my practice we always give injection first as it works slightly quicker and then continue with oral suspension we have so far not seen any reactions to the injection (except that it does seem to be painful to inject) however doesn't cause anymore adverse reactions than the oral solution.

iv always had the oral syrup, think it works quicker with the injection as it goes straight into the blood stream, maybe query it ask if you could have the syrup if easier?

My guinea pig was injected with it when she was very poorly.
She died the next day but i don't know if the injection had anything to do with it as she was a poorly piggy...

Back