• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Being put to sleep

Can you tell me what is the most comfortable way to have bunnys put to sleep....This is something that I will be facing soon and im dreading it :(
My mum had a terrible experience with her bun and it still upsets her now I would hate to have my bun suffer I just want him to go to sleep peacefully.
I was thinking of having it done under anesthetic so he wont feel a thing is this a possible way and more peaceful???

Can you tell me what is the most comfortable way to have bunnys put to sleep....This is something that I will be facing soon and im dreading it :(
My mum had a terrible experience with her bun and it still upsets her now I would hate to have my bun suffer I just want him to go to sleep peacefully.
I was thinking of having it done under anesthetic so he wont feel a thing is this a possible way and more peaceful???

My Rabbits have an anesthetic injection (NOT Gas) and then when they are unconscious they have the PTS drug injected directly into their heart. It is aways very peaceful and I remain with them throughout.

I am very sorry to hear that you are soon to have to say farewell to your Bunny :cry:

Last edited:
You can either have the bun gassed down or injected with a sedative.
Do, specifically, ask for it though as some vets will inject without either.

I am sorry to hear you will have to go through this soon:cry: I can empathise with your mum too:cry:

I have broached this subject with my vet and Jacks-jane has described it perfectly, although I called it gas, as I am not as expert as jacks-jane:oops:

Vibes for a peaceful passing:cry:

i didnt want to "read and run"...

its heartbreaking, having been there once, its not nice, but you feel like you owe it to them to stay.

it still haunts me :cry: :cry:

My vet injected a liquid into the back scruff in the middle of the shoulder blades. One put a canular into his ear and sent him off to sleep within 10 seconds with a blue liquid. So sorry this time is coming near.:(

My Rabbits have an anesthetic injection and then when they are unconscious they have the PTS drug injected directly into their heart. It is aways very peaceful and I remain with them throughout.

I am very sorry to hear that you are soon to have to say farewell to your Bunny :cry:

Do they inject the anesthetic into there paws???

Hi

All mt bunnies have been put to sleep with anaesthic or under anaesthic.
This is injected into the ear, by one of the veins. The bunny doesn't feel anything and this is peaceful and quick.
Is there nothing that can be done for Major, I take that you are his owner.

Jay M

My Rabbits have an anesthetic injection (NOT Gas) and then when they are unconscious they have the PTS drug injected directly into their heart. It is aways very peaceful and I remain with them throughout.

:cry: Is this method able to be done on a home visit rather than at the vets?
God forbid that I have to make that choice I would like to know the options in case I ever do.

There are different ways for different animals.:shock::shock:

Sadly, I wasnt allowed to be with my Archie.....:(

Hi

All mt bunnies have been put to sleep with anaesthic or under anaesthic.
This is injected into the ear, by one of the veins. The bunny doesn't feel anything and this is peaceful and quick.
Is there nothing that can be done for Major, I take that you are his owner.

Jay M

Hi Jay

I am his owner....He has had so much treatment and to be honest I dont think he can take any more he is so low....We have been treating his ear infection (Straph A) which has become very stressful for him now he has developed snuffles on top.He is not interested in anything and looks really uncomfortable.

Is there something wrong with using gas?

So sorry to read that you will soon be facing this. I cannot offer you any advice I'm afraid. Just wanted to say sorry you are having to say goodbye:(

Not that I know of.
No way is 'nice'.
The sedative can be stingy when it goes in and can make the animal feel sick- or if they are capable ( cats and dogs) be sick.
Ashley, our rat, was gassed down last night and it was very calm, although she was very low. When some animals are near death I don't suppose they even feel the euthatal whether they are sedated or not.
If the animal is PTS at home, the injected aneasthetic is used.

Hi Jay

I am his owner....He has had so much treatment and to be honest I dont think he can take any more he is so low....We have been treating his ear infection (Straph A) which has become very stressful for him now he has developed snuffles on top.He is not interested in anything and looks really uncomfortable.

I'm sorry you are having to make this decision, it is never easy.

One rabbit euth. has stayed with me for years - 9 to be precise. He was PTS via the blue stuff into the ear, and he screamed :cry: I will never forget it, poor Charlie bun. I prefer for mine to be made woozy first, could never go through hearing that rabbit scream again

One rabbit euth. has stayed with me for years - 9 to be precise. He was PTS via the blue stuff into the ear, and he screamed :cry: I will never forget it, poor Charlie bun. I prefer for mine to be made woozy first, could never go through hearing that rabbit scream again

:shock::cry: That must have been so traumatic!

That's AWFUL, silverrabbit, a bad experience like that you can't get out of your mind! :cry:

Bunnylover2010, sorry you're going through this. :cry: You can take slight consolation in the fact that the sad deed can be thought through and planned for, to some extent. I had a bad experience with my dog last November - she was kept in at the vets with breathing probs and a couple of hours later I had a phonecall saying come down an say goodbye I'm putting her to sleep - like NOW because I've got to be somewhere!!!:evil: That was just the START of a very bungling, insensitive, traumatic half-hour! :evil: (A locum vet not my regular one)

a couple of hours later I had a phonecall saying come down an say goodbye I'm putting her to sleep - like NOW because I've got to be somewhere!!!:evil: That was just the START of a very bungling, insensitive, traumatic half-hour! :evil: (A locum vet not my regular one)

What a horrid vet :censored: what is wrong with some people?! :evil:

Yes, was very traumatic, my poor boy. Think he had EC or something like that (I was 15 at the time so didn't know what a bunny savvy vet was) and the vet was clueless. He was PTS on New Years Eve 9 years ago, and it has ruined it for me. Not sure I will ever forget that noise, and I don't think i'll forgive that vet either. Thank god my regular vets have always been so nice.

Back