• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hair in my bunnys eyes

crystalh

New Kit
ok well I everyone I have a question I have a new bunny (my very first) he is about 11weeks old hes a lionhead but a super fluffy lionhead anyway he has so much hair that it gets stuck in his eyes I have just been brushing him daily and removing the hair. then I decided to trim the hair just around the eyes as they seemed to be a little irritated but still so much hair has been getting in them so then I decided to give him a bit of a haircut hopeing to make him more comfortable (not too big of a cut) just enought o make him look more like the lionhead but I hate it LOL anyway is it ok to be cutting their hair and how fast will it grow back?

I trim my lionheads mane. :wave:

Daphne has dental problems and one very sticky eye as a result, if I didn't trim it, it'd get totally stuck together and no doubt I'd end up hurting her trying to get it out again. I also give her and my other fluffy bunny a bit fo a haircut every few weeks over summer as they have very fluffy coats and they don't cope with the heat too well.

There's no harm in cutting your bunnies fur so it doesn't stick in his eyes - just be very very careful using scissors near his eyes. Also, don't go giving him more than just an eyebrow trim over winter if he's an outside bunny as then he'll be at risk of getting too cold.

:wave:

We have a Lionhead boy who's fur keeps going in his eyes and it irritates them and makes them quite red and sore so we are constantly cutting the fur from round his eyes to keep the fur out.

im lucky merlins only a lionheadx...but hes still mega furry and i pulled out a strand of his bum mane from his right eye yesterday!:shock:

i was told a mane at their rear as well as their head makes them a double maned lionhead.....nope he just has an extra fuzzybutt!!:lol:

I have a lion head he is fluffy and very long haired.

I have given him a hair cut above his eyes as if I did not it would get so long he would end up running into things when he does 50 mph around the garden.

Last edited:
I've a lionhead cross and his mane always needs trimming to keep it away from his eyes. He's very long haired and has almost a 'knot' of fur near his hind legs (underneath). He wont let me get at it to trim it - it's quite large too.

When we first had him, his fur was matted all underneath and around his mane - i actually got a dog groomer to come and trim him but he went nuts and i couldnt bear to see him go through anymore. The vet also had to shave a load off around his 'bits' because he was in quite a state. I keep brushing (twice daily) in the hope it will 'brush out' with his moulting. Am i doing the right thing? should i take him to the groomers again to get that knot out?

I have to trim round Caspers eyes regularly otherwise he wouldn't be able to see, let alone the irritation it must cause him.

It also looks like Lucky has a handlebar moustache - but i darent trim that in case i snip off his whiskers! :shock: I soooo wish i'd called him Stanley - i think he looks like one :lol:

Back