• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog cage size for 2 rabs

Laura Jo

New Kit
Hi
I am thinking about getting a dog cage with a plastic tray for two bonded rabbits. Currently still bonding them and are in separate cages at the moment. The sizes I can get are:

Large
Dog Crate
L,W,H
(91x57x62cm

Extra Large
Dog Crate
L,W,H
(107x72x79cm

Giant
Dog Crate
L,W,H
(118x77x84cm

Anyone know which would be suitable for 2 dwarf rabbits (1 mini lop and one nethie)

Also, to those who use dog crates, can you just put a blanket on the bottom of the cage. I will be getting a litter box/tray and hay rack/box

Many Thanks

Laura

Hi
I am thinking about getting a dog cage with a plastic tray for two bonded rabbits. Currently still bonding them and are in separate cages at the moment. The sizes I can get are:

Large
Dog Crate
L,W,H
(91x57x62cm

Extra Large
Dog Crate
L,W,H
(107x72x79cm

Giant
Dog Crate
L,W,H
(118x77x84cm

Anyone know which would be suitable for 2 dwarf rabbits (1 mini lop and one nethie)

Also, to those who use dog crates, can you just put a blanket on the bottom of the cage. I will be getting a litter box/tray and hay rack/box

Many Thanks

Laura

is this for permanent homing, or just whilst bonding?

Hi

It's for a permanent home when they are bonded(they are both house buns)

Thanks

Laura

so they will have free-range time and not being locked in the dog crate then i take it?

Just asking, as even the giant one isn't very big for a permanent home :)

Hi
No they are not locked in the cage, they have free range time. I would ve thought the extra large would be adequate (seems to be te largest dog crate I can find?)
Laura

If they are not locked in it ever then I'd say go for a medium one. We have a medium sized one for my lops and they are fine in it. They only use it for their litter tray really. Once we put their shelf back in they'll use it for sleeping as well. The rest of the time they like to laze on the floor in my room.

Last edited:
I think the giant one would be fine, if they get at least a few hours of free ranging in the house. :)

I know people say 6'X2', but the dog crate is wider than 2', and they won't be shut in all the time, so I think it'd be ok.

We have a giant one and our two are out every evening for at least 5 hours mid week and 14 hours at the weekend. Mine are most active in the evening time so it's perfect really.

I think the giant one would be fine, if they get at least a few hours of free ranging in the house. :)

I know people say 6'X2', but the dog crate is wider than 2', and they won't be shut in all the time, so I think it'd be ok.

Personally, I don't think that's the point really, they need a long part to hop down and move around in. Besides the 6x2 is for bunnies with attached runs.

If they are going to be shut in, it's pretty easy to get pen panels and attach them to the dog crate so they can move around in the crate AND the pen.

Back