• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with Housing size

blueday56

New Kit
Hi Guys,

I am a veterinary student in London, and currently doing a project on the size of hutches sold in pet shops and whether or not they are adequate for most common pet rabbits.

However, as part of this I need to know the average height/length of various breeds of rabbits such as dwarf lops and the cross breeds sold in pet shops, and I am struggling to find rabbits in my area to get this information off.

If possible, could any of you tell me:

The breed and age of your pet rabbit(s)
The length of your rabbit(s) if they are lying fully stretched out (with their back legs stretched out behind them). From the tip of their front legs to tip of their hind legs.
It would also be great if I could get their approximate weight as well.

Thanks very much for any help you can give me, it is much appreciated.

Hey :)

Biscuit is just over 1 ft 4 inches whilst totally flat out.

He is a mini-lop, 7 months old, and weighs in at 1.8Kg at last weigh in (which was over 3 months ago...

I'll get kicked if I try to measure them when they're relaxing but I have a rough idea for Smudge.

He's a lion-lop and is 1 year old. When stretched right out he is at least 2 foot long. I know this because when he lays next to a 2.5 foot long pen panel he almost goes the whole length of it. Oh and he's about 1.8kg.

haha. love the idea of trying to sneak up and measure mine without them noticing....will give it a try tonight!
esupi

Thistle is four foot long at full stretch. :shock: He's a continental giant, last time he was weighed he was 6.66kg (double :shock:... :lol:) but that was quite some time ago and he's definately heavier now. At a rough guess I'd say he's probably a little over 7kg's.

Not sure about the rest of my rabbits, they don't spend as much time asleep as Thistle does! :lol:

Thistle is four foot long at full stretch. :shock: He's a continental giant, last time he was weighed he was 6.66kg (double :shock:... :lol:) but that was quite some time ago and he's definately heavier now. At a rough guess I'd say he's probably a little over 7kg's.

Not sure about the rest of my rabbits, they don't spend as much time asleep as Thistle does! :lol:

:shock: I didnt realise he was *that* big!

Thanks guys, all this info is really helpful!

Don't worry about the measurements being really accurate, me knowing smudge is at least 2 ft just by judging him next to a 2 ft 5 long panel is perfect.

Thanks again!

neither of mine flopped out last night or this morning (must have known I was waiting to pounce - sneaky devils). will keep trying!

Right - managed to measure Fudge last night - she is 48 cms stretched out. She is now 18 months old and weighed 1.96 kg back in June (don't think she has changed though).

I don't hold out much hope of measuring Truffle - she doens't seem particularly 'floppy' at the moment. I would estimate that she is approx. 10cms shorter than Fudge though when they sprawl together, though she only weights half as much - 1kg.

They are Netherland Dwarves.

Hiya my Trev weighed 3.4 kg
he was a drawf lop
1 year and 11 months old
and was 2 and a half ft long
RIP baby x

My biggest bun Teddy (frenchlop) weighs 4.5kg but is about 3.5ft stretched out lying down, Joey is about 3kg and about 2.5ft stretched out, Tinkerbell my minilop weighs 2.3kg roughly and is 1.5ft stretched out, Dreamer weighs about 2kg and is about 2ft stretched out (Dreamer is the most active out of all of them, he'd hate to be in a petshop hutch).

I am yet to see an 'adequate' petshop hutch for a pair of buns.

Thanks for all the help so far guys, this is really useful.

Has anyone else managed to measure their rabbits, as lots of measurements will be greatly appreciated!

Also, if it's any easier (not sure if it would be), measurements of how tall your rabbits are when they rear up, from the tip of their ears (if they stick up :p) to the floor would be fine.

Thanks again for all your help so far!

Thanks for all the help so far guys, this is really useful.

Has anyone else managed to measure their rabbits, as lots of measurements will be greatly appreciated!

Also, if it's any easier (not sure if it would be), measurements of how tall your rabbits are when they rear up, from the tip of their ears (if they stick up :p) to the floor would be fine.

Thanks again for all your help so far!

It's hard enough measuring length when flopped, let alone getting a bunny to periscope to measure! :lol::lol::lol:

Glad we could help. Update my statistics, Biscuit is just shy of 2 feet at full flop, i read the tape measure wrong :oops::roll:

My two nethie X rexs are both around 18inches toes to nose. Eli, my frenchie, is a couple of inches clear of 3ft.

ETA: I'm not sure if Eli is fully grown or not, he's around 7 months.

Back