• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My poor Eric died today

clairen

Warren Scout
Just an update. He was 3, had been well until very recently when sudden weight loss despite eating followed by sharp deterioration. Despite drip, antibiotics, etc at Vets he continued to deteriorate and was PTS this morning. The Vet (who has 5 rabbits of his own) suspects an injury as he was off his legs and renal and liver blood tests not too bad. Although also had an infection including some fly maggots caught very early (no destruction) on board he feels this may have been opportunistic rather than the underlying cause. My poor bunny, his partner looks so puzzled and alone.

Thank you so much. It's awful seeing the one left behind, and people saying "it's just a rabbit" doesn't help. Poor little thing he was such a gentle soul. Was hoping to have him a lot longer than 3 years.

He sounds as if he was much loved and no matter what people say, they are never Just a rabbit, I am so sorry

Poor Eric :cry:

Did the Vet mention the possibility of Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC) ?
I ask as you say Eric was 'off his legs' and this is a possible symptom of EC.

If EC were suspected then it would be advisable to treat any other Rabbits you have with a 28 day course of Panacur.

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Panacur_Rabbit/010_Overview.aspx

I am very sorry for your loss xx

Thank you, he didn't mention it but I've googled a few articles and it does makes sense as a possibility. He had no head tilt or fitting and kidneys were ok on blood tests but he became incontinent of urine and off his legs the last 2 days before he died. Before that, over the past month or so I would say he'd 'slowed down' but certainly nowhere near paralysed. Would that fit the diagnosis of E.C or is it too rapid? I'll keep them off the grass (I understand the spores are present in urine for 1 month?) and bleach the runs. Luckily they use litter trays so hopefully not too much urine contaminating other areas. I do worm them regularly with the 10 day course of Panacur, last done 2 months back. But I understand they can carry it anyway? I'll call the Vet again tomorrow to see whether I should worm the other 3 again. Thanks for this.

Forgot to add they were also querying pasturella (sorry if spelt wrong) as he had some white discharge around eyes (again a new symptom) and he was lymphopenic (? bone marrow disorder or natural reaction to overwhelming infection).

Back