• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny pen & other questions :)

.x.Rach.x.

Alpha Buck
First of all, Hi everyone! This is my first post on the boards, although I've been reading posts on here for a few days, as I brought my first bunny Lewis on Monday :) ahh I have so many questions lol.

He's going to be a house rabbit... I've got him an indoor cage atm, but i'm looking to buy a pen for him so he has some more space, one that can be used both indoors and outdoors. Hopefully when I move out into my own place in a couple of weeks time, he can have more freedom within the house. I've started looking on eBay, where are the best places I should be looking for an indoor pen/run?

Also, he's booked in for his first vaccination next week. Should I get him neutered if he's going to be living on his own? Although I was also thinking about getting him a companion (female), therefore he would obviously need to be neutered in that case. Would it be best get him bunny friend while he is still young or house train him first? He's 9 weeks old :) And should I be leaving it at least 2 months between feeding him fresh food? Oh yea and he seems to like chilling in his litter tray LOL! Caught him sleeping there a few times :?

hiya :wave: I got my pen for sophie off a website called zooplus,sophs an indoor bunny and it arrived yest and it's great :)

First of all, Hi everyone! This is my first post on the boards, although I've been reading posts on here for a few days, as I brought my first bunny Lewis on Monday :) ahh I have so many questions lol.

He's going to be a house rabbit... I've got him an indoor cage atm, but i'm looking to buy a pen for him so he has some more space, one that can be used both indoors and outdoors. Hopefully when I move out into my own place in a couple of weeks time, he can have more freedom within the house. I've started looking on eBay, where are the best places I should be looking for an indoor pen/run?

Also, he's booked in for his first vaccination next week. Should I get him neutered if he's going to be living on his own? Although I was also thinking about getting him a companion (female), therefore he would obviously need to be neutered in that case. Would it be best get him bunny friend while he is still young or house train him first? He's 9 weeks old :) And should I be leaving it at least 2 months between feeding him fresh food? Oh yea and he seems to like chilling in his litter tray LOL! Caught him sleeping there a few times :?

Hiya and welcome thought i would reply to few questions for you, get him done if you are slightly considering another bun cause that will be one less thing to worry about before introduction commences also boys can still spray meaning messy hutch and if you are considering another bun you have done that bit already once they get mature at 4 months ish their behaviour can change but if your only keeping him as single bun then i would prob hang fire and see how you get on with him and his behaviour rather than put through unecessary operation

i would wait until 4 months before offering fresh grass and greens/veg do it slowly as can cause digestive problems if started too early and offered too much at once.

if you def want another bun and wifey for him then i would do once boy has been done then slowly introduce that way you dont risk him getting hormone rages and trying to hump her which may not be a good start so that would be earliest of 4 months to get him done

cant help on the pen front though but look into housing sticky at top for indoor ideas

:wave:

Zooplus is a good place for pens :) but you may be able to find the same pen on Amazon for slightly cheaper :)

Depending on what size you want, Puppy pen's can be very helpful as a lot of them include a door so you can let your bun out when he/she is indoors and keep him/her contained if necessary when you are not around.

Something similar to this would be good :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Pen-Enc...sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1283638344&sr=8-1

OR

You could go for something made from NIC panels, available on Ebay or Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/INTERLOCKIN...r_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1283638502&sr=8-5

If you use the search feature of the forum, you will find a lot of threads based on your question, such as mine and a lot of others :)

Welcome to RU btw :)

I find this strange not guving buns fresh stuff when they're young- surely thats what they eat in the wild?
I gave toby stuff from 11weeks and he's never had a problem. I would just give him say a 1/5th of a spring green leaf or 1/4 celery stick each day for a couple of weeks and gradually increased it. Now he's 6 months and gets a a couple of leaves or full celery stick.
When I got Treacle she hadn't been given fresh stuff at all and she was 18weeks, she kept getting sticky poos and over producing Cecotrophs even after a very small amount- I ended up restarting with a hay only diet and gradually adding fresh stuff in, then pellets last of all so she seemed more affected by NOT having greens.
Thats only one example though I guess and I'm by no means an expert

Pets at home have the medium size six panel drop pin run for fourty odd pounds, we got one today, was the only place I could think of tryin at half five and dropped lucky!

I find this strange not guving buns fresh stuff when they're young- surely thats what they eat in the wild?

It is because bubs have very sensitive tummies, so they don't recommend introducing them until a later age. Saying this, when I got Charlee at 8 wks she was already on small amounts of veggies so I just continued with this and gradually built up over time.

Welcome to the forum btw :)

Thanks everyone. He has an XL dog pen on the way, which I found online :) All I need now is some cable protecters, he's already chewed through one of my Wii leads (the really thin lead) :O he must of done it quick cause I didn't even see him do it!

About the food, I was told not to feed him fresh food for 8 wks, i'm changing his food atm onto the Excel stuff (over a period of 2 weeks), so wouldn't want to introduce fresh food aswell just yet anyway.

I have a question about his litter tray... he seems to be using it to pee in, but he poops all over his cage like its a giant litter tray... how can I stop this? I've tried putting his droppings in the litter tray :/

Back