PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for Wingnut's arrival-Update- she died



Kittykat23uk
30-08-2010, 12:18 PM
We have an appointment at 14.30 for sprocket and widget to meet prospective new playmate.

Here's their extended run:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4941388268_764ae7f77d_b.jpg

So the new bun gets the front portion until they are all bonded then they can all have he whole thing to live in. At least, that's the plan.

Angela lou
30-08-2010, 01:45 PM
The extension looks great! Hope the date goes well.

It looks like we will be bonding a threesome at about the same time as my third bunny (Bracken) arrived here last night. So the support group still seems like a good idea :lol:

susie bun
30-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Good luck! :wave: The arrangements you have their look great. :D

antigone
30-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Good luck! :wave:
Great bunny set up! :)

Kittykat23uk
30-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Thank you! The play date went very well. Sprocket and Widget played nice with baby bunny . So we are hopefully picking her up on Saturday. We'll officially be fostering until she is old enough to be speyed. Hopefully once that has gone well we'll be able to adopt her permanently! :D The staff had named her Hazelnut and we had the name Wingnut in mind so it won't be to difficult to rename her either. She's still a tiny bundle of fluff at the moment.

She's one of these buns, one of the fluffy ones that is grey and white in the green litter tray:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=238739&highlight=clicky+cuteness

Kittykat23uk
01-09-2010, 01:13 PM
I've started a new thread in Bonding- Coul use you advice in prep for when we pick up Wingnut:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?p=3999540#post3999540

Thanks in advance

Jo

Kittykat23uk
03-09-2010, 08:36 AM
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

I just had a call from Martlesham. Baby Wingnut who we were due to be picking up tomorrow, passed away in the night. :cry: I don't know what to do now. :cry: The vet thinks it was some sort of defect but nothing contagious (she was one of the smallest in the litter). They are not keen to adopt any of her brothers to our pair, so we are back to square one. :( I'm told there is another lionhead female that has just been brougnt in but is in isolation as she has mites and wont be available for three weeks. So I'm beginning to think I might have to put plans on hold until I get back from South Africa. Not really having a good year am I?

BB Mommy
03-09-2010, 09:10 AM
That's so sad - poor baby:cry:.

susie bun
03-09-2010, 09:13 AM
That's so sad, especially when she has a loving home all ready and waiting for her. :(

Sky-O
03-09-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm so, so sorry. I would keep a VERY careful eye on your two and would not take them to meet any other bunnies until at least 3 weeks anyway.

Why are they not willing to adopt any of the others? Is that because they are boys?

Poor little Wingnut, that's incredibly, incredibly sad. Binky Free sweet girl.

Kittykat23uk
03-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Yes it's because they are all boys and they are worried that they will fight once he reaches maturity. To be honest, for my pair I think they might be right, Sprocket (male) is the more confident dominant bun, whereas Widget is a bit more nervous. But then, A submissive male could work, or a more confident but licky female could also be a good match- as long as she didn't usurp Widget. So maybe a female would be a better bet for a trio, but who knows really?

I know many people on here say personaility is more important than the sexes. Any thoughts most welcome, also, whether a baby is the right way to go, or an adult speyed or neutered, I don't know and could use some advice really. The only other bun is Treacle- she's not been with ay other buns and is not very hoomin friendly either so she doesn't sund like a great match and they weren't keen when we were there on monday, but now that Wingnut has died, they have suggested we could maybe try her. :?

As I said, I've been assured that the vet checked her over and is sure it wasn't anything contagious (obviously they were worried about her littermates and my two having been in contact) but I will keep an eye on mine in any case.:cry: They are both up to date with their vacs.

It really sounds like we will have to wait now untl I get back from my trip doesn't it? :( Poor Sprocket and Widget won't be able to enjoy their extended accommodation for ages because we need to keep it clean and separate in the event that we adopt a 3rd bun, but that will now be two months away minimum! :cry:

Sky-O
03-09-2010, 10:07 AM
I personally do think it would be better to adopt a spayed or neutered rabbit that has lost its hormones, because then you know where you are. The risk with Wingnut was that when she reached maturity shre might have fought with them anyway, so a bunny date with a baby doesn't really provide much info as to whether or not it will work after they develop hormones and then have been spuetered.

When you get back there is nothing to say that you can't try again with these bunnies because then they will be fixed and you should know where you are. I have a very strange trio of a very dominant male, a very dominant female and a very submissive yet incredibly stroppy and moody male, and it works well (I have no idea why, but it does), for whatever reason, so I would say don't rule out a male (generally speaking).

With regards to the vet, I don't know how they would have gotten a necropsy done on her so swiftly when the vets don't open until half 8, and the staff only arrive at the centre at 8-8.30, and they obviously called you pretty early on given the time of your thread in Rainbow Bridge. She may have appeared ok, and yes, it may be a genetic defect or maybe fear because there are foxes in the area, but equally, there could have been something like coccidia or whatever going on, or something not catching like mucoid enteritis. So I would just keep a close eye, which I'm sure you will anyway :) And effectively put them into quarantine 'just in case'. Yes, probably very unnecessary, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to be over cautious, that's all :)

Kittykat23uk
03-09-2010, 11:20 AM
I personally do think it would be better to adopt a spayed or neutered rabbit that has lost its hormones, because then you know where you are. The risk with Wingnut was that when she reached maturity shre might have fought with them anyway, so a bunny date with a baby doesn't really provide much info as to whether or not it will work after they develop hormones and then have been spuetered.

That's what I thought as well to be honest, I had visions of them fighting while I was away and Ian having to separate them. :?


When you get back there is nothing to say that you can't try again with these bunnies because then they will be fixed and you should know where you are. I have a very strange trio of a very dominant male, a very dominant female and a very submissive yet incredibly stroppy and moody male, and it works well (I have no idea why, but it does), for whatever reason, so I would say don't rule out a male (generally speaking).

True, but will the rescue even consider this as an option? I guess we'll just have to play it by ear and see how we get on.


With regards to the vet, I don't know how they would have gotten a necropsy done on her so swiftly when the vets don't open until half 8, and the staff only arrive at the centre at 8-8.30, and they obviously called you pretty early on given the time of your thread in Rainbow Bridge. She may have appeared ok, and yes, it may be a genetic defect or maybe fear because there are foxes in the area, but equally, there could have been something like coccidia or whatever going on, or something not catching like mucoid enteritis. So I would just keep a close eye, which I'm sure you will anyway :) And effectively put them into quarantine 'just in case'. Yes, probably very unnecessary, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to be over cautious, that's all :)

Absolutely- I think it happened last night so maybe it was an emergency vet that took a look? I don't really know. But in any event I will take your advice and not look into getting another bun until I get back at the end of October. Also Saves any problems for Ian too.

All the best

Jo

Bink
03-09-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm so sorry, that's awful *hugs* x

Kittykat23uk
03-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Thank you. x:cry:

Bebopy
03-09-2010, 01:18 PM
That is terrible. :cry: I'm so sorry. xxxxx

Furry_Friends
03-09-2010, 02:03 PM
How sad. So sorry to read this :(

Kittykat23uk
03-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Thank you. x

Heather&Bart-MyLittleBuns
03-09-2010, 08:24 PM
How awful, so sorry to hear this :(

(((hugs))) x

purplebumble
04-09-2010, 01:13 AM
such a terrible tragedy..im so sorry.

Kittykat23uk
04-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Thank you everyone. It's awful that it's happened; but, in a way, if it was going to happen, it's better that it happened before we picked her up. I don't know what I would have been like if she passed a few days after we got her, or worse when I'm going to be away.:cry:

Angela lou
04-09-2010, 05:38 PM
so sorry, what terrible news :( binky free Wingnut xx