• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help with some info please

Hi all i have got 5 11day old baby bunnies mum is brilliant with them and is keeping them warm and 4 are really plump and have started to open their eyes but i have noticed this morning while checking them like normal that a couple have so white stuff rond their eyes is it ok to just wipe them with some worm water and cotton wall or should i just leave it. The runt of them is fighting strong but not putting on the weight like the others i give it a little extra supplement as recommended by the vet but the vet keeps saying bring it in i will take a look but i don't want to do this as i don't want to upset the mum as she is doing well at the moment and i enjoy being able to go and sit in her run with her an stoke her i even got cuddle yesterday which is very rare with her. is it ok to clean the eyes and ok to still feed the runt i only give it 1 - 2 ml of forumla once a day should i up this.

Thanks all for looking

Right, The little ones with the white stuff coming out of thier eyes...give the eyes a wee clean and open them up. If it is all pussy inside then you should try and get as much out as possible, get some cotton wool or something and rinse the eye with loads of water. They will probs need some anitibiotic drops (tiacil) if this is the case. Its important you get them cleaned as soon as possible if they are infected as it can get quite nasty
If they vet is saying you should bring the babe in it is possible. I did it to a kit that was only 8 days old (and had infected eyes). With the 8 day old kit I took it away on its own to the vets, making sure i kept it warm, took it back, rubbed it in some bedding an popped it back in the nest, mum didnt care.

Right, The little ones with the white stuff coming out of thier eyes...give the eyes a wee clean and open them up. If it is all pussy inside then you should try and get as much out as possible, get some cotton wool or something and rinse the eye with loads of water. They will probs need some anitibiotic drops (tiacil) if this is the case. Its important you get them cleaned as soon as possible if they are infected as it can get quite nasty
If they vet is saying you should bring the babe in it is possible. I did it to a kit that was only 8 days old (and had infected eyes). With the 8 day old kit I took it away on its own to the vets, making sure i kept it warm, took it back, rubbed it in some bedding an popped it back in the nest, mum didnt care.

Thanks for the help i gently cleaned their eyes and a couple of them started to open i checked them this morning and all their eyes are clean i had mum watch me yesterday while i cleaned them and she was happy just to watch the runt has got 1 eye open and the other a little bit open but has got feed by mum properly over night so i am not given any extra as don't want to over feed. Thanks again :):wave:

Thanks for the help i gently cleaned their eyes and a couple of them started to open i checked them this morning and all their eyes are clean i had mum watch me yesterday while i cleaned them and she was happy just to watch the runt has got 1 eye open and the other a little bit open but has got feed by mum properly over night so i am not given any extra as don't want to over feed. Thanks again :):wave:

good to hear:)
as long as there isnt any puss/ eyes arnt swollen they should be fine

Back