• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - Bunny Bitting Spayed stiches

Chel

New Kit
Morning All,

I had a call from my friend last night whom had to go to emergency vets as the rabbits stitches had all come out having been spayed on Wednesday last week. The emergency vets basically was reluctant to put the rabbit to sleep again so soon, so put in 13 yes! 13 staples, excessive in my opinion, with out sedating, he did however give her a pain injection before she left and antibiotics. Anyway he still sent the rabbit home with out anything to cover the area, and only advised to try to put a baby top on her. The owner tried this and it was ripped off in two mins, i went down and put a medi sticker over the wound then wrapped two surgical tape strips round the wound, hoping to prevent her from bitting them. Im waiting to here how the night went and gonna go this morning to check her again. Later today im going to the Bunny Hop rescue centre in my area with some hutches and goodies, and i hope to get some advice from the owner, however in the interm i would sooo welcome any of your caring souls advise and suggestions.

Also she has another rabbit due to be spayed next week : (
Im sick with worry for the little thing.

Female buns are notorious for pulling out their stitches, especially as healing progresses and the wound becomes itchy. However, if the wound is also painful and inadequate post-op pain relief has been used bun may also chew the wound as a pain response.

The type of stitching used can vary from practice to practice, and some are more resilient to bun chewing.
What you have done by bandaging/wrapping the wound is to my mind the best option so well done, it is what I would have suggested. If the wound has been opened there will be increased risk of infection so a course of antibiotics is important for this bun, as is pain relief at this point post-stapling.
I hope bun recovers ok this time.

Perhaps your friend may want to consider an alternative vet for the next spay or discuss her post-op concerns with this vet first before proceeding.

Thank you

Thank you, your knowledge is so very appreciated. The bun has finally chewed off the binding i put on her, i have asked my friend to keep checking her and if there is any signs of irritation/nibbling then ill go and re-dress the area. Seen her myself today and checked her, no evidence of nibbling and she is eating, drinking and toileting as usual. Bless her its such a shame. I have asked my friend to reconsider the vets shes using and i wait in hope. I am going to ask my vets what protocol they have for post op, i have a great vet recommended by RWA, shes fab. Again thanks for coming to my rescue, cant tell you how much its appreciated.

Back