• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Busters eye problem

Buster

Alpha Buck
Hi there all have not been on here for a while thought i would share busters problem with you to see if any one can help him.

Buster eyes are a bit weepy and a little red i have taken him to the vets about three times.He has had one lot of anti biotics and his eyes flushed and three lots of eye drops but still the same :( he has a good diet does anyone know what else i can do as it is getting me down even though it does not seem to bother buster i just want him cured
All Suggestions welcome :)

Thanks Lulu

Has he had skull radiographs and a full Dental examination under GA ?

Chronic 'runny eyes' are often a symptom of elongated tooth roots. This condition can only be diagnosed by Xrays. Elongated tooth roots are a possible feature of Dental Disease, hence the need for a full oral examination under GA.

Just treating the runny eyes with various antibiotic drops may only be addressing the symptoms not the actual cause. Repeated tear duct flushing can do more harm than good if the primary cause is not identified.

He does have problems with his back teeth and had a ga and his back teeth done and eyes flushed at the vets a few weeks ago. His eyes dont run all the time they are just a little red.

Has he had skull radiographs taken ?

Has a swab been taken to try to identify the specific bacteria involved and thus the most appropriate antibiotic to prescribe ?

Hi there no i dont think he had any skull radiographs taken or swabs he just had his back teeth cut and his eyes flushed and was given anti biotics.

Back