• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this suitable for a mini lop?

Its the Furet XL cage. I had it for my rats, and thought that i could save myself a bit of money by using it to keep a couple of mini lops in. It is more spacious than it looks on the images. ANd i was planning on getting some more shelves and ladders and making it more suitable for rabbits.

I mean even if its only short term i would be happy to get a new cage when/if they became too big for this. These are the measurements:

29 inches long
31 1/2 deep
33 inches high

+pik removed+

This was just an idea i had; but i thought i'd double check with you :)

Last edited:
No way, I'd never put my mini lop pair in there. They need 6x2x2 with an attached run.

I think its not really big enough for rats either :shock: (unless they got alot of free ranging time as well) :(. Mine had something twice this size for daytime snoozing plus living room free ranging every night.
so definitely no good for buns :(

Nahhh this isn't a wind up :) I'm on here for advice. I have a cage like the link someone gave me (sorry I cant quote I'm on my iPod touch) but looking at them once I've modded the XL it seems like there would be way more space. And they would have free roam of my while room most of the time it's just for night times and times when I can't keep checking on them :)

Thanks in advance to all the real contributors to this post it's much appreciated :)

Definetely not, id advise a nice big dog crate or make yourself a cage with nic cubes, some people on here have fab setups with them :wave:

Even small rabbits need at least 6ft x 2ft of space so any sort of indoor cage is not suitable. The easiest way to keep rabbits indoors is to section off an area of your room using a puppy pen.

I have a cage like the link someone gave me (sorry I cant quote I'm on my iPod touch) but looking at them once I've modded the XL it seems like there would be way more space. appreciated :)

The cage on the link is 118cm as opposed to 80cm and they are suppost to be able to do at least 3 hops in a row I think. If you have both maybe you could get some NIC cubes or puppy pen pannels to create an area they can have both- stack one on top with a ramp or something like that maybe? ;)

I see.

I would like to keep them in a massive hutch outside (and this was the plan) until some sites put me off saying that it was much better for them to be inside, and as i cant let them have free run of the whole house i thought that if i modded this cage, put it in one room, and left it open during the day, that it might be better?

I don't know, i've had rabbits before but never as my own responsibility, and the internet has lots of varying opinions :S

Would a hutch be better for them then? Cos if it is i have plenty of space for a big one with a big run :)

The cage on the link is 118cm as opposed to 80cm and they are suppost to be able to do at least 3 hops in a row I think. If you have both maybe you could get some NIC cubes or puppy pen pannels to create an area they can have both- stack one on top with a ramp or something like that maybe? ;)

Right i'm measuring the actual cage *gets tape measure*

29 inches long
31 1/2 deep
33 inches high

I wouldn't have said that was big enough either. Unless you don't have the top on and the bunny is free range 24/7.

Thanks why i said Base :)

If you can keep them outside in a big hutch and run (about 6x2ft for the hutch and somehting like 8x4ft for the run is ideal for what you want) then that would be great:)
Some people prefer having them indoors, others out. Its your decision really as they can be happy either way, as long as they have enough room

Thanks why i said Base :)

If you can keep them outside in a big hutch and run (about 6x2ft for the hutch and somehting like 8x4ft for the run is ideal for what you want) then that would be great:)
Some people prefer having them indoors, others out. Its your decision really as they can be happy either way, as long as they have enough room

Ahh that sounds like a plan then :)

Only thing that made me change my mind was websites saying that they have a "lonely existance" outside.

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/rabbits/a/rabbithomes.htm

(this being only one of many that i found)

Amazing cage for upto 6 rats but completely unsuitable for rabbits. I have that cage for a holiday cage for my rats and it's fab but would nver put my rabbits in there.

As suggested, a friend for your bunny would be a good idea and they can then live inside or outside.

Yes, there are many conflicting opinions about. But if you have two bonded rabbits living together (make sure they are both neutered or spayed) then thats plenty of company for them

Ah thats good!
Obviously i'd be out with them whenever i can, but its good to know that they'd not be unhappy being outside :) which was my main concern!

I'm happy now i can continue the hutch hunting :lol:

My 2 are outside Rabbits, they most definitely are not lonely. It sometimes depends on the Rabbit, I think my female would quite happily live indoors, but my male Rabbit really doesn't like to be confined and would not be happy in doors.
A big well protected Hutch and Run would be perfect, if you can't accommodate them being indoors.:)

Back