• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to stop a hutch getting damp?

Graeme27Uk

Warren Scout
With all the rain we have had, for some reason our rabbits' hutch is getting damp on the lower floor. The sides are dry and the top floor is also dry.

I think I can identify how the water is getting in but I don't know how to stop it. Can I use bathroom sealant or is there a safer alternative?

Is it possible that because the ground the hutch is on (its on stilts so its not actually on the ground) gets wet that this can rise up and cause the ground floor to get wet?

Any clues or advice?

It's probably dribbling down somewhere. Perhaps put some new felt over the roof, try to use a single piece so there are no gaps. You can also put felt around the outside too, as long as your rabbits can't eat it.

A cheap alternative could be to cover the hutch in a plastic sheeting (im not sure how to explain it, but its a material that the Ikea bags are made out of or something a long those lines) or bubble wrap, I use it in winter to stop water snow out and to keep the warmth in

Is it the rain driving in through the mesh at the front?

I've put an overhang on top of my hutches with perspex sheeting on so the rain doesn't hit the inside of the hutch.

I bought a ground sheet from Wilkinsons to cover the top back and sides of my hutch. It was only a fiver and works well. :)

But then I spent another tenner getting clear plastic sheeting and velcro to make a front for it...

Making a home made cover or buying a one will solve your problem, or moving the hutch into a shed, garage, outhouse etc.

Back