• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit just gave birth.

mjp1pink

Young Bun
Hi, can you help me, we brought a female rabbit last week, as she as just given birth today, not really sure what to do.

Some say not to look at the babies and others say to do so, some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please can you help and let me know what I should or should not be doing.

Thanks

Melanie.

Really hope someone more knowledgeable comes along soon but from what I know you should not disturb the nest. Make sure there is plenty of hay, food and water available but do not touch the babies. If a baby does stray from the nest rub your hand in the used bedding and put it back in but don't touch them otherwise.

How is mum? Do you have any other rabbits or is it just her?

if you can tempt mummy out of the cage then use the handle of a wooden spoon to check you have no dead ones.you want pink wriggley ones not cold still ones.then leave well alone!!

Baby Rabbits

Thanks for the advice from all, Mum looks well and she is at the moment with the babies, not sure of how many or if any are alive or dead. She has been up and down her ladder eating and drinking well. She is on her own in the hutch.

Will try and have a look again later, I just dont want to keep disturbing her.

Thanks again.

Melanie.

hi im no expert by any means but my rescue bun had babies about 6/7 weeks ago so i know how stressfull it is!
i was told to leave mum to get on with it as thay know whats best,
if you need to check the nest to get mums sent on you hands before touching it either by stroking mum first or rubbing your hands on the hay/bedding shes been on. make sure she is eating well i gave mine unlimited pellets and hay. i had some really good advice from 2 r/u members in particula, 1.sky-o 2,collilover. im sure thay would'nt mind you sending them a pm if you need there advice.
good luck let me know if i can help you further.

Baby Rabbits

Have just had to remove two dead baby rabbits and whilst doing this found one baby still alive. The mummy rabbits does not seem interested and seems to be staying away from the sleeping area were the baby is. What should I do now.

Is there any sort of time that mum should be spending with the baby.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks Melanie.

I'm not an expert either, but I think it's pretty normal for the mum not to seem interested - I think she will visit the babies only once per day to feed them.

Hopefully someone who is more experienced will be along soon.

If I recall right, mum will go back to her baby once a day to feed, other than that it is normal to keep away from the baby as in the wild they try not to draw to much attention to the baby ...(being prey animal etc)......you will need to check for a pot belly to ensure she's feeding her baby.

Hello Melanie.

If you would like quite a long word document about unexpected litters and how to cope, can you send me your e-mail address by PM on here and I'll send it over to you.

Helen

Oh dear, good luck I hope your doe and the baby will be alright I would deffo take the offer of that document, you can also contact your vet don't forget aswell they might be able to help, maybe a nurse could pop round or something?

HI
When did she have the babies ?
She will normally only feed them once a day
.Is the wee one what left making any noise atall as it will when its hungry. Its a sign the mother is not feeding them .
Before you handle any of them cover your hands in her scent as been said before . It should have a wee round belly if its getting feed from her.
Give the mother unlimted amount of food and water at the moment she will need to keep her strentgh up to feed the wee one
Try leaving her too it checking a few times a day to make sure wee ones ok . Sit back and Enjoy having wee ones as I have found its the best time ever I have had with my foster rabbits I have had even when one of the wee ones got injurged ,,,just not looking forward to them all leaving here in a few weeks:(

Pm me anytime of you want any more advice

Baby Rabbits

Hi, I believe she had them this morning which was a shock, as we only brought her last week.

I found two dead and coulndt see anymore. When she was out of the bedtime area, I prepared myself to clean out the area, whilst carefully moving the fur I found one alive, so I covered her back up. She looks quite big, no sound from her but alot of movement.

Was just worried when the mum seems to be away from them. This is a first for me.

Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks
Melanie

She will only feed it once a day ...normally through the night . She wont go near it till then ..just make sure its covered up with her fur each time you look in on it . Try to not clean out the bedding area for a week atleast as t will have her scent on it you dont want to loss that. She needs to fell safe with her wee one . There is really nothing for you to do for the first few weeks you will see a difference everyday with the wee one I know I did . Just relax and enjoy easier said thaan done I know

Hi, I believe she had them this morning which was a shock, as we only brought her last week.

I found two dead and coulndt see anymore. When she was out of the bedtime area, I prepared myself to clean out the area, whilst carefully moving the fur I found one alive, so I covered her back up. She looks quite big, no sound from her but alot of movement.

Was just worried when the mum seems to be away from them. This is a first for me.

Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks
Melanie

On a positive note, all being well would you consider keeping the baby and bonding them as a (neutered of course) pair, that would be a happy ending, good luck for your doe and kit, fingers crossed for them x

Baby Rabbits.

Thanks to all who have replied and have given advice.

All being well the baby rabbit will survive.

Will keep you all posted.
Thanks again for all your advice.

Regards Melanie.:oops:

Thanks to all who have replied and have given advice.

All being well the baby rabbit will survive.

Will keep you all posted.
Thanks again for all you all.

Regards Melanie.:oops:

Will be thinking of you Melanie. Hope you can work some magic on the new bunny.

Helen

Back