• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bolt is moulting bad

Bolt

Young Bun
Hi,

another question, Bolt is currently moulting, hes been doing it for over a week, is this normal? could it be because summer is over and he sheds his current fur?

we can actually pinch alot of fur off him, we use moulting combs/brush but still he moults alot.

Should we keep combing him or let it be naturally? we're just worried cos he grooms himself very often and dont want the fur to be stuck in his throat.

thanks

That sounds normal. It's a good idea to brush them regularly as if they ingest a lot of fur it may cause a blockage in their tummy.

Jester moults continually, I honestly don't know how he has any fur left. It doesn't seem to change with the weather and it always increases with stress (the vet's room is always full of his fur). I try and brush him as often as possible but he still looks scruffy and leaves fur everywhere. I could stuff pillows with what comes off him. He is especially bad near the back end which he is less keen to have brushed. It comes out in great big clumps but there is never any balding, it's just so thick.

Is there anything I can do to try and minimise it?

Jester moults continually, I honestly don't know how he has any fur left. It doesn't seem to change with the weather and it always increases with stress (the vet's room is always full of his fur). I try and brush him as often as possible but he still looks scruffy and leaves fur everywhere. I could stuff pillows with what comes off him. He is especially bad near the back end which he is less keen to have brushed. It comes out in great big clumps but there is never any balding, it's just so thick.

Is there anything I can do to try and minimise it?

Is Jester an indoor rabbit? My indoor rabbits seem continuously in mild moult if you see what I mean.

Yes, Jester has always lived indoors. I suppose the house will always be warmer than outdoors (although it doesn't feel it sometimes!)

Back