• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Black wildies

Living_a_lie

Mama Doe
Could someone post some pics they have taken or know that they are an accurate depiction of a black wild rabbit?
Lillian and I are having a hard time deciding whether one I saw was actually a wild or a pet as google images is misleading. Thanks.

Sorry I've no photos. I've seen 2 black wildies - Staffs & Shetland.
I couldn't get close enough for a detailed photo anyway. They were more uniformly black than my bun in my siggy.

The important thing was that they were relating to the other wildies normally if that helps you. (I watch with binoculars)
The wild Skomer rabbits are still multicoloured from domestic escapes centuries ago. I think behavour will be the key here. Good luck.

I have no pics either but good luck.

I saw a black bunny by the side of the road - but in a rural area - some months ago. It was on a fast rural road so I couldnt stop anywhere to see and have always wondered.

No pictures either I'm afraid - although I have some pictures of a wild orange bunny! :roll::lol:

I think Judy is right, the best way to tell is by their behaviour. If orange and black buns exist in the wild then there could be pretty much any shade of black in them.

Any news on the black bunny front?

I'm so stupid, I should have said that if the black bun is surrounded by the others, it's well integrated.
If it's hanging around a distance from the others on the edge, it's a stranger asking to be integrated.
They stand out like sore thumbs at dusk, whereas you can't see the agouti's unless they move. So they're more vulnerable to predation. It's bad news if they haven't got a burrow. As you know only does can make a burrow.

Back