• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am actually becoming a little scared of Peaches!

Daesy

Warren Scout
She was such a cuddly thing, and now she has settled in she is such a cow. I had a similar post and people thought it was most likely she hadnt been spayed, so I am going to book her in for one

she is fine with the other two buns, but she evil bunny with me. I took her out an apple leaf and she growled and lunged, so i just walked away, and gave one each to the other two who gave me lots of thanks. I felt bad so went to try again with peaches and she growled, snatched it off and lowered her head for a stroke but really aggressively. I stroked her for a bit and then stood up to go, and she started lunging for my legs - everywhere i tried to step she was there, growling and lunging for me :(:(

Even when i put her food bowl down or try to collect it, she lunges, I'm scared to go near her!

I really hope the spay sorts her temper. :evil:

:(:( I can't help but just wanted to say I hope it is hormones and she is better when she has had the op, she sound like me with pmt :lol:

Definately sounds hormonal from what i've read, try not to worry too much - hopefully she'll be a happier bun after a spay :)

I agree, sounds like hormones. Also they can pick up on how you are feeling so I find if I'm scared of them they are more likely to lunge whereas if I'm authoritative they submit more.

I think theres a high chance that speying Peaches will result in a more mellow bun.
You may have read this already - if not maybe it will help.
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/biting_hand_may_05.pdf

thanks, that was interesting. in the beginning, and sometimes even now, if i end up having to herd her in to her hutch she does eventually lay down and freeze, so perhaps she is scared - i dont know what her life was like before she came to me. Its strange though as she was super friendly when she first arrived and had a lovely afternoon being stroked and played with by my friends 2 year old daughter

I have an appointment for her 2nd jab today, I will speak to the vet

persnickity

She was such a cuddly thing, and now she has settled in she is such a cow. I had a similar post and people thought it was most likely she hadnt been spayed, so I am going to book her in for one

she is fine with the other two buns, but she evil bunny with me. I took her out an apple leaf and she growled and lunged, so i just walked away, and gave one each to the other two who gave me lots of thanks. I felt bad so went to try again with peaches and she growled, snatched it off and lowered her head for a stroke but really aggressively. I stroked her for a bit and then stood up to go, and she started lunging for my legs - everywhere i tried to step she was there, growling and lunging for me :(:(

Even when i put her food bowl down or try to collect it, she lunges, I'm scared to go near her!

I really hope the spay sorts her temper. :evil:
if i was to be afraid of any of my rabbits it would be my cottontail,-he is the only one that has bitten me--well on a regular basis anyway-,he did calm down after the neuter--a rabbit,s field of view is about 360* with a blind spot right between their eyes-(visible light of-two colors blue and green)-,they have a keen sense of smell and know we are predators--,not all rabbits are cudly,georgeous creatures,--but they all deserve the right to a good life as our beloved pets--and must be dealt with on their own terms,,be careful as it takes patience and time to gain confidence -sincerely james waller--lots of grasses and water,,and some quality pellets..:love:

I know its easier said than done but she will pick up on the fact she makes you nervous which will only aggrivate the problem. Try to stay as calm as you can, wear gloves and thick trousers if it helps as knowing she can't hurt you can boost your confidence. I had a girly come here who was so territorial I risked lossing a finger even just retrieving the foodbowl, however just a week after her spay she was like a new bunny.

my skipper was exactly like this! i got him neutered and at first, he was still the same, but after about six weeks the hormones really went away and he was wonderful, still a little bit skiddish but hasn't lunged or growled since!

lots of foot stamping when its time to go back in his pen tho :roll:

I'm just at the vet now waiting for piggy to come out of his de matt. The vet is really trying to talk me out of opening Peaches to see if she has been spayed. He feels that the risks of the opp and side effects are worse than the risk of not spaying. It's the second vet to say so... Not sure what to do now

I can empathise with that dilemma. I rehomed Gemma from the PAH adoption part and was told she had been spayed. She isn't viscious but she does keep nest building which makes me suspect she may not have been spayed at all. My vet has looked for a scar and can't find one but that in itself isn't conclusive that she hasn't been done. I am loathe to put her through a GA and op that she may not need but am also worried about her getting cancer if she isn't spayed!

I think they can do an ultrasound to look for any uterine tissue. I also believe that they can do a series of blood tests to check for hormone elevation but it is inconclusive as as far as I'm aware no one has yet isolated the correct hormone for this test in rabbits, but it may give you more of an idea. Well, this was the scenario when we considered it with Poppy a few years ago - things may have moved on since then. An exotic vet may be able to advise your vet in respect of either of the above procedures.

All the signs are saying she isnt spayed to me :? if she isnt then shes at high risk of cancer of the uterus so i dont understand why your vets are advising against it especially as theres no sign of a scar either.

he hasnt checked for a scar yet... he said he would need to put her under to do so? Unless he just meant when he put her under (to do the spay) if there was a scar then they would know

he said that to put her under carries a huge risk. He also said if they cant find the uterous, (cant spell) then they would and i quote 'have to rummage around for it' which can cause problems with her organs :cry:

he said if it is hormonal then i should start to see a pattern, she'd be fine at times and moody at others (like me!), so he said to keep an eye on her behaviour

Back