• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rearguard for flystrike

My rabbit is recovering from flystrike and is now ready for Rearguard but I'm having some problems applying it. The sponge is too hard and does not 'refill' because my rabbit's skin (and fat!) squashes down rather than the sponge.
Has anyone else had this problem and what did they do to rectify it? should I cut open the bottle and use cotton wool?
olivia

I have only used the spray bottle Rearguard, but I would think you can put it on a cloth and wipe it on. I think it says on the bottle you can comb it through the fur, so it should be okay.

I put one of those surgical gloves on, squeeze it into my hand and then rub it in. Now it is getting colder too, make sure your bunny stays warm while drying off.

I didn't know Rearguard did a spray bottle.

Glad I saw this. Thanks bunny babe. I've got some of the fly guard and it says to do 15 sprays on their back end. I can imagine it would scare them to death! putting it on a glove and rubbing it on seems a much more calm way of putting it on. Cheers! :)

Glad I saw this. Thanks bunny babe. I've got some of the fly guard and it says to do 15 sprays on their back end. I can imagine it would scare them to death! putting it on a glove and rubbing it on seems a much more calm way of putting it on. Cheers! :)

I use the gloves as the Rearguard is liquid/foam. I haven't used sprays before so couldn't comment whether that would be as effective.

Back