• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help please construction plans for secure rabbit run

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
Hi all,

After reading this thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=240971

and considerations for adding a third bun to my two:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=240826

I'm wondering if I should extend their current accommodation, by adding a run. This is what they currently have, an 8ft by 4ft Kennel:

4865505974_d8aa546516_z.jpg

4864873009_89241de57d_z.jpg

4864872985_f4f2e95b41_z.jpg

I've got dwarf lops and hoping to get a lionhead. So they are all fairly small breeds. They have plenty of room to binky, relax etc. They also have free time in the house most evenings although are unlikely to be brought in for the majority of October because my OH doesn't normally do that when I'm away.:(

So I'm now concerned that the kennel is a bit on the small side, plus thinking that if I add a run I can fit the old hutch in (which is only 4 ft) and keep the buns seperated if need be with some sort of connection between the two so that hopefully the whole area can be opened once they are bonded.

So, I need some ideas and advice please. We have an unused roll of galvanised mesh and some recovered NIC panels from the boys' accommodation. but I'm wondering if I'd be better off just buying a large run.

The reason I went for the kennel was because I wanted something very secure that the buns would be safe in so I'm not overly keen to extend the accommodation with a low level run again, although I might be being really paranoid as we now have a 7ft fence to stop the dog getting back into the garden (although we still get cats).

What do you folks think? Is 8 by 4 big enough for three? Should I try and add a run?, it would have to come out from the front, because we don't jhave room either side to extend it.

ETA I think it'll need to be 5ft wide in order to attach to the existing kennel, maybe 6ft - 8ft long..

Thanks,

Jo

Last edited:
I don't think there is enough free space in there at the moment. Perhaps if you could clear away the whole floor area then there would be more room to run around. Other than that the kennel looks great, they have lots of levels and interesting bits and a lovely hidey place :)

Adding an extra run would always be good, you could buy or make some aviary panels of 6ft x 3ft and combine them together easily to make a run that is 6ft x 6ft x 3ft and join it to the front of the kennel. If you made a little hole in the front of the kennel so they could get out into the run, you could always secure it with a proper door on the inside with a couple of large bolts so that if you need to you can lock them in totally securely at night.

Back