• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly Baby

bugsy & tamer

Young Bun
What a night just had to rush rabbit to vets its had a fit. He is only 3 months old. A few weeks ago I thought a hawk or something had tried taking him and this caused him to freak out. But same thing happened again tonight. Vet has given me some panicur he said it could be an infection which this will treat or he could have been born with a brain defect and possibly have epilepsy. Calmed down now was shacking when i got him to vets. Was in that much of a state i didnt really take in what vet was saying. Does anyone have any experience with same thing and know what this infection could be.

He advised me to perhaps give the other 1 a dose as well as its a wormer.I have 2 rabbits together do i need to seperate them. The other 1 is fine they have both recently been neutred & are from same litter. He just suddenly started running from 1 end of cage to other whilst i was feeding them ended up falling out of cage but i broke his fall luckily and laid him on grass he was as stiff as anything then just went limp by time i had got the box and got back to cage he was running round as if nothing had happened

If it is EC they both need to be treated at the same time (encephalitozoon Cuniculi) its a sort of parasite that is shed in urine spores, it can cause seizures, hind limb weakness and head tilt and many other problems.

What has the vet given you, just the panacur? how long is the dose for?
im not saying it is EC im assuming because you mentioned panacur. xxxx

He said it was 28 days i think its a 5g tube. He has only given me enough to treat 1 though didnt mention treating both other than to just give him a dose as its a wormer.Is ec life threatning

Yes it can be life threatning, but lots do survive, it involves lots of deep cleaning, come and post on rabbit chat you`ll find a lot of us with buns that have faced EC.
you still need to treat both buns at the same time if its going to be effective though so you need 2 panacur packs. xxxxxxx

No he is a mini lop.

Not been out to them yet this morning only just got up.
Tamer the ginger coloured 1 has never shown any signs of any problems at all they are both from same litter but he weighs nearly double bugsy. Bugsy is a blue eyed white.

Do I need to scrub the cage out then etc. I have seriously never heard of this disease. Kept rabbits for years but this is first time i have experienced a rabbit fitting and also first time i have kept them together.

No he is a mini lop.

Not been out to them yet this morning only just got up.
Tamer the ginger coloured 1 has never shown any signs of any problems at all they are both from same litter but he weighs nearly double bugsy. Bugsy is a blue eyed white.
Do I need to scrub the cage out then etc. I have seriously never heard of this disease. Kept rabbits for years but this is first time i have experienced a rabbit fitting and also first time i have kept them together.

Idiopathic epilepsy is reported in blue eyed white rabbits xx

ETA: Tried to find some information but couldn't find much:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=292942967763&topic=13125

I hope your bunny is ok. It would be sensible to treat both with panacur anyway to rule out e.c. xx

Last edited:
He is fine now they are out in run have been for last couple of hours. By time i had got box out of garage he was running round cage again as if nothing had happened. If it does turn out to be epilepsy we will deal with it.As long as i know what it is i wont freak out as much. I just laid him out on grass while he was stiff then when he came round i cuddled him and brought him in house in my arms while i rang vets. I always seem to pick the ones with problems lol. Got 2 cats with stomach problems as well

poor bun, maybe it is the blue eyed breed then, hope everything continues to go well for bun, you do need to panacur both though :) xxx

He may or may not go on have further seizures. Minimising stress may help to reduce the chance of them occuring.

If he does have another seizure, try to make his environment cool and dark e.g by covering the hutch, and remove any objects he could injure himself on. block off the ramp if he has one (if he goes on to have regular seizures and home that is all on one level may be a safer option). Try to avoid handling him during a seizure unless it is necessary to move him away from danger. If the seizures last longer than a minute or so or keep happening he will need urgent veterinary attention.

Be aware that cagemate may be startled by the seizure and this could lead to aggression so watch out for this.

Good luck xx

They are in a double cage. I was feeding them last time it happenend.The other 1 goes to him and cuddles up to him when it happens once i have brought him round. The first time it happened they were running out in garden. Both times he has gone really stiff then all floppy & wanted cuddles.

They are in a double cage. I was feeding them last time it happenend.The other 1 goes to him and cuddles up to him when it happens once i have brought him round. The first time it happened they were running out in garden. Both times he has gone really stiff then all floppy & wanted cuddles.

Poor bunny, it must be scary for him xx

Yeah it is bless him. He is taking his panacur ok though.Wont let me near him with syringe but will eat it off a piece of broccolli. Dont want to freak him out 2 much by forcing him to take it from syringe and cause him to have another fit.

Been back to vets today with bugsy.He seems a lot better vet weighed him and he has gained some weight vet says this is a good sign :).

Back