• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Coverings for laminate flooring?

lizzyjm

Alpha Buck
I've not had my bunnies long but I'm hoping to let them free-range in the living room/kitchen when I'm home soon. I have laminate flooring though and the buns slip on this. In their pen I've just got bits of cardboard down and some vetbed but it still slips around. I'm ideally looking for something that's cheap and also easy to clean as Pepper refuses to be toilet-trained unfortunately. It also needs to be either safe to eat or destruction-proof - I had an old bath mat down but Pepper took a liking to the rubber underneath and kept sitting there munching on it!

I've not had my bunnies long but I'm hoping to let them free-range in the living room/kitchen when I'm home soon. I have laminate flooring though and the buns slip on this. In their pen I've just got bits of cardboard down and some vetbed but it still slips around. I'm ideally looking for something that's cheap and also easy to clean as Pepper refuses to be toilet-trained unfortunately. It also needs to be either safe to eat or destruction-proof - I had an old bath mat down but Pepper took a liking to the rubber underneath and kept sitting there munching on it!

Until i saw the 'safe to eat' and 'destruction proof' i was going to suggest some office carpet.

I picked up a 6 feet square piece from Carpet Right for £12 :) It has rubber underside so wouldnt slip on laminate.

Not sure what to do to stop them eating it though and it wouldnt be that easy to clean, if they can't be litter trained.

Things like this make me realise how easy Biscuit was to litter train!

I am am jealous when I read about Biscuit being so well-behaved in that area! I think Sergeant's got the hang of it but Pepper will sit anywhere and look so sweet and then scamper away to reveal a little puddle!

I think there's a carpet shop not too far away from me so I can always call in there and see if they have any offcuts or something. I guess that's not a permanant solution though, what with the uncleanability!

Not to rub it in, but i literally watched where he went, once, then cleaned it, put the litter tray in that exact spot...never had any accidents since.

Occasionally get the odd poop outside, but thats mainly cos they have stuck to him or he's kicked them out when he gets out, occasionally get the odd one where he's been sleeping too!

I think the washable rugs would be a good idea, but i guess with so much weeing, it'd be impossible to keep up to date with them!

Those PVC mats look good, and cheap too, though it's annoying there don't seem to be any stores in London.

I use Vetbed rugs with non-slip backing. They don't move at all on lino' or laminate. I bought them off ebay x

didnt really finish my post very well did i, lol.

Those with maybe carpet or fleeces/vetbed over the top, to protect the laminate floor from wee damage was what i was meant to say.

I hit submit way too early lol Sorry!:oops:

I use Vetbed rugs with non-slip backing. They don't move at all on lino' or laminate. I bought them off ebay x

Do they come with the non-slip backing or is it something you added? I got a few small vetbeds from an ebay shop but they do slip around.

didnt really finish my post very well did i, lol.

Those with maybe carpet or fleeces/vetbed over the top, to protect the laminate floor from wee damage was what i was meant to say.

I hit submit way too early lol Sorry!:oops:

That's okay, I'm overwhelmed by the helpful responses I'm getting so quickly on this!

The laminate flooring actually seems to be fairly easy to clean, it's just a shame the bunnies can't really jump around on it or I'd just leave it as it is.

These look good, but I'd probably have to keep an eye on Pepper to make sure she didn't try to eat the backing!

There isnt really any backing on them that could come off to be honest.
It just has enough to stop them slipping.

We buy these from Dunhelm Mill we have had loads over the years as they are good quality and they are washable. :D

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product1_11100_-1_81402_10551

ARGH I ordered two of these from the website the other day and got a voicemail today (when I hoped they might arrive!) telling me they are out of stock and don't do them anymore and so my order is cancelled! Really annoyed, I'd been planning the buns' first free-range in the living room this weekend! I have no idea what else I can get to use instead at this short notice. Central London is a bit rubbish for useful shops. :(

I have laminate downstairs which my two dont really like either.

They mainly live in the dining room so I just bought a piece of 'matching' vinyl that covers almost all the floor. They could nibble the edges as it's not fitted but they've never bothered (they arent very chewy buns). It's got a slight texture to it so they have a better grip, but it's still easy to clean and it's also 'wood effect' so it blends well with the laminate.

In the front room, I have a medium-sized rug so they stay on that when they come in. I have a couple of small cotton mats with nonslip backing to 'bridge' from dining room vinyl to front room rug.

Do they come with the non-slip backing or is it something you added? I got a few small vetbeds from an ebay shop but they do slip around.

Sorry for the delay - haven't been online much lately! It comes with the non-slip backing. :wave:

I ordered mine from (( This seller on ebay )) - it's been brilliant. I got it because I was worried about Jack slipping around everywhere on our laminate and it did the job perfectly. :D x

Back