• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

still getting to know each other

JLG

Mama Doe
Hi all, i'd appreciate some comments here. My 2 rescue rexes have been here since late May and we are settling into a routine nicely. they have learnt to go to their run in the morning than have me pick them up, which is fine as none of us were enjoying the picking up bit. They also put themselves to bed at night.
Anyway, at night they have a free run round the garden while I'm sorting out the hutch etc and then I sit down with some yummy treats for them to come and get from me.
They now know that bit, in fact I sometimes get a bit mobbed, but what happens next? Kane is quite happy to be stroked and will sit on me for a bit but Sparkle mobs me for the treats, will put up with me stroking her briefly and then hops off.
What should I be doing to encourage them to want to spend time with me other than just for food?!

thanks

It sounds like you've done a great job with them so far. You've established a routine and a good basic bond. Now comes the longer term true, depe bond that can form. Its a case of them learning they can trust you on a very deepn level. However, not all rabbits are willing or able to feel that trust and some are always led by their stomach.

I would suggest sitting with them and ignoring them and putting no pressure on them. They will investigate you and probably think you're a marvellous play toy.

Back