• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need Advice

bugsy & tamer

Young Bun
My rabbits were neutred on tues. They have got collars on at min as 1 pulled a stitch out and had to have staples in. Just got home and checked on them and he has had his leg trapped in collar. Worried about him getting hurt now with that. Would i be ok to take there collars off now. The wounds are scabbed over so skin has obviousley knitted together.

Obviously keep a close eye on the wounds but i think that even if a stitch was pulled out at this stage it wouldnt be the end of the world. If you are worried you could try putting baby grows with the feet and back end cut out onto them so they cant get to their wounds. Sounds crazy but is so much safer and easier on the buns than collars.
I hope the little monkeys are ok xxx

I have taken the collars off them. He was limping a little bit on his front leg but seems to be getting better now. They have hated every min of those collars on he has been trapping his leg alot in it but never to extent it was today. Bandage had got up under his leg so muscle possibly a bit sore at min. Will leave them in there indoor cage for a few more days to rest it. My friend is a vetinary nurse so will get her to have a look if need be tomorrow. He seems to be using it ok thogh can certainly kick out

the two does I had spayed and the buck I had casterated were all give internal stitches that melt away so they couldnt chew them.

Poor bunnies. Collars are horrible for them and in most cases completely unnecessary.

I hope his leg is ok.

Poor bunnies. Collars are horrible for them and in most cases completely unnecessary.

I hope his leg is ok.

I agree. They are also dangerous because they can prevent bun from accessing water bowls/bottles and feeding properly. For more than a few days they are risky because bun can suffer from not being able to consume caecotrophs (directly from bottom) a vital source of nutrients which a post-op bun needs more than ever, and puts bun at risk of messy bums and flystrike to boot.

Personally, I can never see a need for them that can not be solved with good vet wrap, firm abdo bandaging or even a huge elastoplast as a last resort, not to mention adequate pain relief which is very often the key to stopping a bun chewing it's wound in the first place.

Back