• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question

Domino27

Mama Doe
Just a small question, I put Paddy outside today, it started raining but not much and quickly stopped so I left them both outside. After a while it did start raining heavily so I took them both into their hutches. I'm putting this down to it being a bit chilly but Paddy is, not hunched, but in his "bedroom" in one corner. He even let me give a nose rub for a good half hour and didn't even flinch (normally gets bored after a min and runs off). I brought him in and he didn't run about, however did poo (though not much) and again remained stuck in one corner, again not hunched but in a semi-flop.

Does anyone else think I need to be worried? He ate all day but not this evening and still remains in his bed area in that one corner. He usually flops in the mesh area....I'm at work tomorrow from 6am til about 5... :shock:

It could be the change in temperature that's upset him. If he's sat hunched and not eating, I would be worried actually (sorry!).
It may be worth giving the vet a quick ring and getting some advice from them over the telephone.

It could be the change in temperature that's upset him. If he's sat hunched and not eating, I would be worried actually (sorry!).
It may be worth giving the vet a quick ring and getting some advice from them over the telephone.

He's not hunched, just sat there...slightly flopped out with his "slippers on" so to speak (is over his front feet). He was flopped out in the run all day with his legs outstretched....I'm going to tempt him with some mint and corriander (fresh from the plant) in a moment.

That's a good idea - tempt him with something tasty! Maybe some dandelion leaves.
Being stretched out like that can sometimes indicate that they have tummy ache, so maybe some tummy rubs and syringing some cooled boiled water may help.
If he's not eating still though, I would get some vet advice urgently, particularly if you are at work all day tomorrow.

That's a good idea - tempt him with something tasty! Maybe some dandelion leaves.
Being stretched out like that can sometimes indicate that they have tummy ache, so maybe some tummy rubs and syringing some cooled boiled water may help.
If he's not eating still though, I would get some vet advice urgently, particularly if you are at work all day tomorrow.

Hmmm I shall do that and then see what happens, the vet is open til 8pm tomorrow if he's eating but still seems a bit off so as soon as I get back I'll take him round. Fingers crossed he's just miffed about the constant rain..

May be over reacting but I've fond the biggest cardboard box and he's currently in it next to my bed, not touched his food yet but he's sat up and looking around. See how it goes....

How is he today? I hate it when the bunnies seem ill. One of ours had a couple of very lethargic days when the weather was very hot and it was a real worry.

How is he today? I hate it when the bunnies seem ill. One of ours had a couple of very lethargic days when the weather was very hot and it was a real worry.

Well I think he just wanted 4* accommodation as half hour or so, after turning off the light and umming about whether to call the emergency vet, I heard the unmistakable sound of nomming...along with the largest belly gurgles I have ever heard. My OH said "if he farts and it smells I won't be happy"...

Anyhoo that went on til 3am and then I had to put him back so I've had 1.5hrs sleep today and I am now back from work and going for a sleep as I am shattered to say the least!!!

Silly monkey that he is...attention seeker...

Back